Our neighborhood gets together every 4th of July for and I decided to bring mint frosted brownies.
My original plan was to use white frosting flavored with mint when add blue and red sprinkles—that’s pretty patriotic right? Problem is, I couldn’t get past the green. Mint ice cream is green… mint Oreos are filled with green… and Andes mints are green and brown.
Would mint flavoring taste right in red white and blue?
Then I thought of peppermint—peppermint candy is red and white and available all year round! Problem solved.
Brownies with Mint Buttercream Frosting
- 1 pkg of your favorite brownie mix
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 – 3/4 t vanilla (use less vanilla for a more intense mint flavor)
- 1/4 t peppermint extract
- 2-3 T milk or water
- 2-3 T peppermint candy pieces crushed (optional)
- Prepared cake decorations – sprinkles, candies, flags on toothpicks (optional)
1. Prepare brownies per package directions. Let cool completely
2. Using electric mixer blend butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, peppermint extract and milk.
3. Fold in crushed peppermint if using (optional)
4. Frost and decorate (optional)
Not a red, white and blue holiday? Skip the peppermint candies and add a hint of green food coloring to the frosting. Enjoy!