Gotta love book club. There’s the camaraderie. The reading. The great food. Recently one of our hostesses served Skinny Beach Dip—doesn’t that sound perfect for the last days of shorts season! Loaded with sweet corn, bell and jalapeno peppers, then dressed with light cream cheese and nonfat yogurt, I would have called it Skinny Harvest Dip. Perfect for CSA members and local eaters!
The dip has a delicious combination of contrasting flavors–sweet from the corn and spicy from the jalapenos. It should have a little heat–enough to notice but not so hot that your husband/grandmother/favorite hot food wimp won’t eat it. Although the recipe calls for two jalapeno peppers, I recommend tasting first since the heat will vary.
I bought three jalapenos and two we-think-they’re-probably-jalapenos at the farmer’s market. Turned out to be the wussiest jalapenos I ever had so I added three which worked perfectly (yes, my husband did say, “this is a little spicy” without slowing down a nanosecond). Since the heat is greater in the ribs and seeds of the pepper, you can remove or not, to adjust the level of heat.
Now to make Skinny Fall Harvest Dip truly skinny you should serve it with cut up veggies and nix the chips. We were about to sit down in front of a preseason football game so I served both. I wish I could say I only ate it with the veggies—maybe next time ;-)!
- 8 oz low fat whipped cream cheese (or other variety, or additional Greek Yogurt)
- 6 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe bell pepper, diced (ideally red or orange for the color)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 can corn (about 15 ounces) or corn from two fresh ears
- 1/2 can chopped black olives
- I envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix
- Mix ingredients and serve with chips or cut vegetables.
- Spiced Wine Poached Pears
- Natural Bodycare Giveaway: Shampoo, Scrub, Fine Line Eraser