Steak and Blue Cheese. Need I say more? Back in the day, a juicy steak topped with melted blue cheese was all the rage! And the combo is just as good today in an everyday sandwich like these Steak, Blue Cheese, Veggie Wraps.
These fun and tasty sandwiches are based on a recipe from the promotional cookbook “Our All-Time Favorites: Fabulous and Nutritious Lean Beef Recipes” that I received (multiple copies of) at Beef Council Events. Today, in my best “can I add a vegetable to this?” mode, I healthied up my Steak, Blue Cheese, Veggie Wraps by adding sliced peppers.
Now steak may not seem like something you pop into an ordinary sandwich (even on a holiday weekend) but I have a secret for you. If you can find sirloin tips, you can do it at a bargain price. Sirloin tips are strips of sirloin that were trimmed off of larger cuts and are discounted as a result. But if you are going to cut up a steak anyway, like for Beef Stroganoff or Steak, Blue Cheese, Veggie Wraps, sirloin tips are perfect!
These sandwiches are quick and easy to make, in addition to being tasty and fun! Just season the meat & stir fry, then serve with crumbled blue cheese, tortillas and your choice of toppings. We enjoyed our Steak, Blue Cheese & Veggie Wraps with two colors of raw (remember this is easy) peppers, tomatoes, onions & lettuce.
As I mentioned, I ended up with a couple extra copies of the Our All-Time Favorites Beef Cookbook from different Beef Events, so I am going to make these available to two (twice the opportunity!) hungry readers in a giveaway.
To enter, leave a comment below telling me something fun you are doing to enjoy the last of the summer weather. For a second entry, join my email list (right under the words “Life is Busy” above) and leave a second comment telling me this (current subscribers can let me know you already subscribe). This giveaway is open to US mailing addresses and will close at midnight CDT, September 14. The winner will be picked randomly, contacted by email and have 24 hours to get back to me with mailing information or a new winner will be chosen. I reserve the right to make a prize substitution in the event one of these disappears in the mail (not that anything ever disappears in the mail, ahem).
Happy Labor Day everyone!
- 1 lb sirloin tips, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips and trimmed of fat (or 1 lb steak, trimmed and sliced into strips)
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning (or mix of garlic powder, black pepper, oregano)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese (see note)
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup sliced red pepper (or yellow or combination)
- 1 cup sliced lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Sprinkle steak with garlic pepper and salt, then stir fry until outside is no longer pink (do not overcook).
- Serve with blue cheese, tortillas and cut vegetables, allowing guests to roll up own tortillas.
- Roll up tighly and serve hot.
- I used a serving size of 2 per person. You can halve the calorie count if you will only be eating 1 wrap sandwich.
- You can use low calorie blue cheese dressing instead of crumbled blue cheese if you want to reduce calories further.
- Roasted Tomato Red Pepper Soup
- Apple Dutch Baby Pancake