Spring is here–well,more or less! Snowdrop flowers are popping up in my woodland garden, temperatures are veering into sweater weather—and I’m working on finishing up the remains of last summer’s vegetables! Which is how I created a new Sweet Potato bread!
I was clearly in a bread rut, making the same loaves (honey whole wheat and rustic rye) over and over. Time for something new! And in keeping with my goal of adding vegetables everywhere (plus using everything up), I went with a sweet potato bread. Mmmm!
The result was delicious–and even pretty! Not easy for a healthy bread!
With white whole wheat flour & oatmeal, plus vitamins and antioxidants from sweet potatoes, Sweet Potato Bread is a nutritional powerhouse.
And I think it’s some of the most fun I’ve ever had dealing with leftover CSA veggies!
- 1/2 cup warm skim milk
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- 1 packet yeast (1 scant tablespoon)
- 2 T butter, melted or oil
- 2 T peach brandy (optional)
- 2 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading, I used an additional 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup pureed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons beaten egg (egg wash) plus extra oatmeal for topping the bread (optional)
- Mix milk and honey, then dissolve yeast in the mixture. Let sit until yeast begins to foam (a few minutes).
- Combine yeast mixture with remaining ingredients, mix to combine, then knead (by hand on a floured surface or in a mixer) until dough "pushes back" as you knead. Add additional flour as needed so that dough is not too sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and let sit in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- When dough has doubled, punch it down, then form into a loaf and place in a bread pan. Let rise again until about 50% increased and starting to rise above pan.
- Brush top of bread with egg wash and sprinkle with oatmeal.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, until done. Keep an eye on the bread and be prepared to cover if the top gets too dark (likely).
- Greek Deviled Eggs & a Giveaway
- Blood Orange Vodka Spritzer