What’s better than dessert? How about a dessert that doubles as a serving of fruit! Like a Cherry Ice Cream Soda.
Now I’ve always figured if you’re going to eat dessert, you might as well see if you can have some fruit while you’re at it. And there is no shortage of delicious fruity desserts in this world. French Apple Pie, Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles , Blueberry Cheesecake, to name a few.
But a Cherry Ice Cream Soda has them all beat when it comes to simple and fun. And with summer coming, the cool and refreshing factor can’t be beat!
The idea for this comes from the Chocolate Ice Cream Sodas my dad taught me to make as a kid. He had spent summers in a small Iowa town with an old fashioned soda fountain. We’d pass through every year on trips to see our grandparents and soon we were making them at home too.
If you’ve seen much of this blog, you’ll know I’m a big proponent of tart cherry juice—which I buy as a concentrate and try to drink daily. A superfood full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, I add it into hot and cold beverages every chance I get.
One more reason to get healthy!
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces tart cherry concentrate (1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup club soda or fizzy water
- In ice cream or other tall glass, mix 1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) tart cherry concentrate with a scoop of ice cream until well blended.
- Add fizzy water or club soda (about 3/4 cup depending on glass size)
- Top with a second scoop of ice cream (see note)
- Repeat with second glass.
- Serve with spoons and straws!
- I have been known to go with a bit more ice cream when feeling indulgent 🙂