Sumer is icumen in,
Lhude sing cuccu! (Middle English Folksong)
After a long winter, there is nothing quite as anticipated as summer for a local foodie! And here in Wisconsin we do hope summer is icumen in! With temperatures hovering in the 50’s (or worse), everyone is surprised to see daylight after 7 PM–it still feels like March! All of this, a mere 45 days shy of the summer solstice!
But warmer weather will come and, if not, I will be picnicking in my long johns. So here is one of my favorite summer salad recipes. It has been tweaked by a succession of friends and family and is slightly different from (and hopefully better than) the standard versions. And I even have a source of organic broccoli slaw–must be destiny!
- 16 oz pkg broccoli slaw
- ½ bunch green onions, chopped (or substitute chopped onion to taste)
- 3/4 c sunflower seeds, or slivered almonds or combination
- 1 pkg ramen noodles (oriental if available)
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1 T Teriyaki sauce
- 1 ½ T sugar
- Ramen noodle seasoning pkg
1. Remove seasoning packet from noodles, leaving noodle packaging intact. Smash noodles and retain seasoning for the dressing.
2. Combine salad ingredients in large bowl.
3. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well to emulsify.
4. Blend dressing with salad. Save any extra dressing for future salads.
- It’s Celiac Awareness Month!
- If Life Gives You Cabbage… Make Coleslaw