Yesterday I did a little shopping. And I was shocked. There was fall décor everywhere. How did we get so near to summer’s end?
Yet the signs are there. I even did a “school starts soon” brunch with some of my classmates.
While I decided that I’m going to repress all of this for now, I did do something distinctly fall-like the other day. I made vegetable broth, entirely from scraps out of my CSA box!
As I looked in to a refrigerator overflowing with bright, fresh CSA veggies, I realized I could make some space just by “pre-harvesting” parts that would get thrown away. Things like parsley stems, uber small carrots/carrot ends and scallion greens. There was even a dried-out bunch of thyme.
Now a vegetable broth is nice for summer because it doesn’t have to simmer for hours–unlike a meat broth where you are (usually) trying to extract minerals from the bones. Even on a hot day, an hour of light simmering won’t do too much damage to an overheated kitchen.
Of course, your fridge may hold different veggies so feel free to switch up the ingredient list. The one caution I have is to go none-to-light on cruciferous vegetables—things like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. They can make your broth taste and smell cabbage-y and that’s probably not the result you are going for.
In the end I was delighted with my broth and it felt good to pop it in the freezer for fall. Because today I’m going out to enjoy the summer some more!
- 1 cup carrot ends or carrots too small for other recipes
- 1 cup scallion or leek green ends
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery leaves
- 1 large bunch parsley stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch dried up fresh herbs such as thyme (optional)
- 6 peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 7 cups water
- Combine ingredients in a large saucepan or stockpot. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer until flavorful, about 1 hour. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Strain broth and discard (or better yet, compost) the vegetables. Use broth within a couple days or freeze.
Makes about 6 cups.
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Harvest Peach Pie (Full or Mini-sized)