Every so often you need a dish that is a little different–and as a food blogger I like to think I’m up to the task. Friends with celiac disease? No problem now that gluten free products are everywhere. Vegetarians? If I can use cheese and eggs I can do anything. Vegans–who eat no animal products at all? That can be a bit more intimidating.
Last summer, my oldest had a (mostly) vegan friend visit and the wheels in my head were turning. One of my local blogging buddies, Abby, from the Frosted Vegan, always brings amazing vegan foods whenever we do a potluck, so I knew that venturing into vegan baked goods didn’t need to be scary at all!
Abby brought Mini Double Chocolate Almond Cakes with Chocolate Glaze to our blogger Oscar party and I had been meaning to try the recipe ever since. Although this visit was the perfect excuse, in the end time got away from me. I finally made it a couple weeks ago for “Parents Night” after a high school swim meet. It was fun watching everything quickly disappear, with one even hidden away to be eaten later!
I used a mini-bundt pan but a regular muffin/cupcake pan would work fine. In fact there was a little extra batter that we turned into mini-cupcakes to keep for ourselves!
The recipe worked perfectly (though I did increase the glaze a bit–can’t have too much chocolate glaze) and the one mistake I made was filling the muffin molds too high–mistakenly thinking that without eggs, these wouldn’t rise at lot. They rose beautifully making for a nice light cupcake, but one that wasn’t quite as well shaped due to my paranoia. In the grand trying-a-new-recipe-for-company scheme of things, I guess that’s a minor problem!
Chocolate Glazed Mini Chocolate Almond Cakes
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup date paste*
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed thoroughly (no lumps)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons almond milk
- Chopped sliced almonds and/or shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- Combine almond meal, flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Add date paste, maple syrup, banana, water, and almond milk. Mix with automatic mixer until all dry ingredients are combined with wet ingredients. Avoid over mixing.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking halfway through baking time. Allow cakes to cool before removing from pan.
- For the chocolate glaze, combine chocolate chips and almond milk in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir again, repeating until melted.
- When cakes are cooled, pour chocolate glaze over cakes. Garnish with chopped almonds and/or shredded coconut if desired.
*to make date paste, cover dates with warm water and let sit overnight. Drain, reserving water. Puree dates in blender or food processor with just enough of the reserved water to create a smooth paste, adding additional water if needed.
- Bacon and Butternut Mac n Cheese
- Spiced Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dip