Sneak in a vegetable or two for breakfast with these mini-pepper breakfast burritos. Quick, appealing and loaded with goodness!
I think I have a new favorite vegetable–the mini-pepper. Mini-peppers have the great taste of ripe sweet peppers but are little and cute. Like a vegetable version of puppies and kittens!
Mini-peppers must be easy to grow because you see them all over farmers markets — and the CSA boxes have been loaded! Which was great when I got home… starving, for lunch the other day. What could I cook… really fast?
How about breakfast-for-lunch (or dinner)? It’s one of my favorite “desperate Mom” meals.
I quickly sliced and fried a couple peppers and a little diced onion. Then I scrambled two eggs and topped with cilantro, chopped tomato and a little pickled jalapeno (optional) from a jar. All wrapped it all up in a tortilla and ready in under 15 minutes. I didn’t even need to open salsa (though that would be good too).
On Saturday, I repeated the experiment, this time for breakfast, with my husband and daughter. It seemed like a perfect way to sneak in an early vegetable (shhh). As I rattled off ingredients for approval, my daughter quipped, “I was just waiting for you to say ‘spinach’ and then I’d tell you I don’t eat spinach with eggs.”
But instead they both loved it. Score one for Mom (and mini-pepper breakfast burritos)!
- ½ Tablespoon oil
- 1 pint of mini-peppers, stems and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten with ¼ cup water
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tomato, chopped
- (optional) chopped cilantro, jalapeno slices or hot sauce
- 4 large soft tortillas
- In a medium frying pan, heat oil, then sautee sliced mini-peppers and onion until tender. Push to the side of the pan or remove from pan and keep warm.
- Turn heat up under pan to medium high, add beaten egg and stir until almost scrambled. Near the end, stir in the reserved pepper mixture and finish cooking.
- Divide among 4 large tortillas, then top with chopped tomato and cilantro. Add Jalapenos or hot sauce if desired. Fold in the tortilla ends, then roll up and serve.
- Optional garnishes: lime slice, more chopped tomato, sour cream, salsa, sliced peppers.
- Pumpkin Pear Trifle with Maple Custard
- Guinness Lamb Stew