It started with cucumbers. Yes… really… pita cravings can start that way.
You see, I am not a cucumber lover. But I am mad about falafel, served in pita bread, with cucumber yogurt sauce. And those CSA cucumbers must be eaten.
The first time I looked for pita bread in my local health food store they had minis. Now mini pitas are cute, but they are pretty tough to stuff. And then my husband ate, ummmm… 75?
Next visit, they had normal sized whole wheat pitas—at a big price. Or (not very healthy) white at a normal price. And so I thought… how hard can they be to make?
Homemade Pita Bread
Ingredients (ideally organic)
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/4 c lukewarm water (ideally around 110 degrees, but truly I didn’t test it)
- 1 package yeast, or scant 1 T (bulk) yeast
- 1 t sugar
1. Combine water, sugar, oil and yeast. Let sit about 10 minutes until bubbly
2. Mix flour and salt, then combine with bubbly yeast mixture. Knead on floured surface for about 10 minutes until dough balls up and “pushes back” when kneading (mixing in extra flour or water as needed).
3. Form dough into a ball and coat with canola oil (or spray). Let rise, covered, until double, about an hour.
4. Punch dough down, then divide into 8 balls. Let sit covered with a damp towel for about 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 475. Put a pizza stone or cookie sheet in the oven to preheat as well.
6. Roll out each dough ball into a round disk about 1/4 inch thick.
7. Bake for 3-5 minutes until starting to turn golden (mine went 3 minutes on the convection setting).
8. Cool on a wire rack.
9. Enjoy. Spend the savings on wine (optional).
Tip: watch them like a hawk while baking. Many forum contributors reported making pita crackers by cooking too long.
In the end, this was a lot of fun and not hard at all. Why haven’t I done this before??
Do you have a deceptively easy recipe that you like to make?
- Kill-a-watt Takes on the Energy Vampires
- Betty Crocker Revisited: Healthier Blueberry Muffins (and Tips)