Basil must be having a great year! Each week, our CSA boxes are graced with an abundance of its savory, green presence. And despite having a family of pesto lovers, I am having trouble keeping up. My kids are begging for “plain ol’ spagetti with tomato sauce,” so I needed a solution…fast!
And so I pulled together a new salad, Tomato Basil Feta Salad, that reduces the basil stores and gets ready for the onslaught of tomatoes about to begin.
Here is the recipe:
Tomato Basil Feta Salad
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed with peel on
- 6-8 (depending on size) scallions, sliced (use red, if available)
- 1/4 lb feta cheese, cubed
- 3 T snipped fresh basil
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/4 t salt (optional)
1) Mix dressing ingredients, beating with fork to emulsify.
2) Mix snipped basil, tomato cubes, feta cubes and sliced scallions.
3) Toss salad with dressing.
My middle daughter won’t touch tomatoes, but dug right in. There was a lot of juice left in the empty bowl, so I put it to my lips and finished off the tasty liquid (Moms–don’t let your kids see you do this). I guess we’ll make this one again…
- “L” my Recipe is Lime Cranberry Fizz … (and I’m Going on a Picnic!)
- From Cucumber to Hamburger Dill