Honey sweet potato pie is rich and flavorful, but packs a healthy punch of vitamin A. Perfect for the holidays — or an anytime winter treat!
When is an indulgence not an indulgence? When it’s loaded with healthy goodness – and the hit of the holiday dessert table! Even though I am eating local this year, I am determined to do things right. I always bring pies to the family Thanksgiving, and this honey sweet potato pie fit right in.
In fact, it was such a hit that I reprised it for Christmas! And I’ll be serving it throughout the winter… just because.
The recipe is based on one that Martha Stewart got from Danny Glover—thanks to them both! I substituted honey for the sugar (cutting it down since honey is sweeter) and added an extra egg, in case the honey required more thickening. The honey is a perfect complement, so it’s a keeper, even if I start using some sugar again next year.
If you are gluten free you can use a gluten free crust—or make this without a crust altogether (my gluten and sugar-free sister, just ate the insides!)
And just as a tip, if you want a smaller pie, one for 2-4, you can resize your crust, then divide the filling ingredients by 3. It’s a perfect fit for a 6-inch pie pan like the one made by anchor hocking. Just reduce the cooking time.
The holidays may be over but I intend to enjoy myself all winter. No problem with desserts like this!
- • 1 unbaked pie crust
- • 1 ½ lb cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled partially
- • 1 cup honey
- • 3 large eggs
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional if you don’t like nutmeg like me)
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place cooked sweet potatoes in the blender. Add butter and process until well combined and cooled slightly.
- Add honey, eggs, spices and vanilla. Continue beating until smooth. If mixture is too thick to blend well you can add milk or cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust. Bake at 375 F until center has set, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Spanish Omelet Recipe Inspiration – and a Cookbook Giveaway
- Slow Cooker Grass-fed French Dip Sandwich