Sweet and tart are a marvelous combination. The tart refreshes, while the sweet pulls you into its magic.
The ultimate fall blend may be apples and cranberries. Even the colors cooperate—pale apple flesh setting off crimson berries.
An easy way to meld these tastes is apple cranberry crisp. For efficiency, I’ve even stopped peeling the apples (hence my au natural label), cutting prep time in half. With a significant collection of phytochemicals in the vibrant skin, this brings a benefit health too. The kids complain, but gobble every crumb!
Come on, you can do it! Just think of how much you like baked apples! Here is my recipe:
Cranberry Apple Crisp
- 4 cups cored apple slices–peel can be left on (about 5 medium apples)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash allspice (optional)
- 2 T quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/3 c oatmeal
- 1/3 c whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 c butter
1. Combine filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour filling into a pie pan.
2. Combine dry topping ingredients (you can use the topping’s mixing bowl to save a dish). Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender (or your fingers!) until it resembles sandy crumbs. Scatter topping over filling.
3. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until apples are soft.
4. Let sit for 30-60 minutes (if you can wait) to allow filling to cool slightly and gel. Top with ice cream or whipped cream for a special treat.
- Fall Means Quick Cranberry Bread
- A Grass Fed Beef Primer