Easter is now about a month away–and I’ve already baked Oatmeal M&M Blondies for the occasion.
I admit that I normally leave anything holiday-ish until–oh, about 30 seconds before the date, which means that none of my readers really has time to try it (my apologizes). But the pastel M&Ms in the holiday candy aisle lured me in and who can procrastinate with a bag of pink and green M&M’s on the countertop?
I grew up eating Blondies for Thanksgivings which my aunt made for our annual visit. When I first tried them I couldn’t believe that any bar cookie without chocolate could possibly taste that good! So despite the fact that I’ve added chocolate to mine, they really are just plain good.
My middle daughter–the daughter formerly-known-as-my-picky-daughter (“Mo-om, you can’t teach me to like really good, healthy, food, then call me picky for that”) declared the blondies “seriously dangerous.” I knew what she meant since I had eaten two before I even took out the camera–what kind of food blogger does that!
I did encounter one gotcha as I researched this topic–the basic recipe is not particularly healthy. So I did a search on “oatmeal blondies” and found that many sites had pretty much the same recipe with a cup of oatmeal added. I also dropped the sugar by 1/4 cup (based on feedback in comments) and added an extra egg to make sure they were still fluffy enough. Done!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup M&M’s (half of a 12 oz pkg) – consider the holiday colors!
1. Melt butter. Add brown sugar and mix well. Blend in beaten egg and vanilla extract.
2. Mix flour, oatmeal and baking soda together, then add to butter mixture.
3. Blend in 1/2 cup of M&M’s. Pat into 8 x 8 pan lined with parchment or aluminum foil. Top with remaining 1/4 cup M&M’s pushing them slightly in to batter.
4. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Shirred Eggs (with Vegetables) for Breakfast
- We’re Moving–Aaaarrgghhh!