Life is a balancing act. Sometime you cook a super healthy dinner from scratch using all local ingredients. Other times you open a couple cans of Cream of Chicken soup. Today I did the latter, but still made a dish that was tasty and healthy–and mostly local! We ate Chicken Divan–chicken and broccoli (or green beans) covered in a creamy sauce.
This dish is a perfect mid-winter meal, steamy and rich, when the snow blows outside. And surprisingly, a more “processed” ingredient like canned soup can help make use of local foods. I took out a bag of frozen (CSA) broccoli, then used leftovers from a roasted free range chicken raised by a local farmer. The recipe calls for 4 (regular store) chicken breasts, but the two breasts leftover from the prior night’s dinner was the perfect quantity (about 20 oz). Yup those free range chickens are meaty!
My kids always like it when I make a recipe from my childhood (though we called it Chicken Supreme growing up). All I have to do is tell them it is one of Grandma’s recipes and you can feel the excitement. And did you know that the “cream of” soups aren’t as unhealthy as their reputation now that the lower fat and healthy recipe versions are available? While they may have a few ingredients I can’t quite identify, they are low in fat and not too high in sodium after you add in all the rest of the ingredients. So once in awhile I toss them into a dish and don’t think twice.
I serve the Chicken Divan over brown rice and add a nice salad. Steamy, creamy and a snap to make, it is the perfect comfort food!
- 2 10-oz packages broccoli spears
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced (about 20 oz)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (preferably Healhy Request)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably Reduced Fat)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Layer broccoli and chicken in casserole.
- Mix soup, mayonnaise, curry powder and lemon juice. Spoon over broccoli and chicken.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.
- Serve over (ideally brown) rice.
- Strawberry Meringue Cups Two Ways
- Beessential Natural Products Giveaway