This year we vacationed for a second time in beautiful Captiva FL. Besides the sunny beaches, balmy weather and fun activities, it’s a wonderland of amazing local food. Which inspired my Moon and Starfruit Salad.
Nearby Sanibel has a Sunday farmer’s market that is amazing. Seafood, dragon fruit, lychee. Plus the stars of this salad, passion fruit, starfruit and blackberries. I figure blackberries are like the new moon, which sheds no light so is perfect for star gazing!
The star of the dressing, on the other hand, is the passion fruit. If you are a Great British Baking Show fan, you have probably seen this featured in some of the recipes. It really deserves the adulation it gets, with a flavor that has hints of citrus but is completely unique.
I was so excited to get to work with it there and have to see if I can get it at home too. Last year I found starfruit at a local hispanic market so fingers crossed!
It is always fun to get a break from winter, especially someplace warm and beautiful! Somehow thawing out even once makes everything better.
Back north again, the grip of winter is still upon us. But, maybe summer can feel just a bit closer with a hint of the tropics!
- 1 ripe passionfruit
- Juice from half a lemon (about 3T)
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T sugar
- 2 starfruit
- 1 pint blackberries
- 6-8 cups torn lettuce of your choice
- Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the insides into a medium bowl. Whisk with the rest of the dressing ingredients.
- Place torn lettuce in a large salad bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Slice starfruit, wash berries and arrange over salad greens.
- Moon and Starfruit Salad by Art of Natural Living
- Old Fashioned Crunchy Pea Salad by Intelligent Domestications
- Pear and Pecan Winter Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing by That Recipe
- Roasted Vegetable Salad with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Winter Veggie & Quinoa Salad by Sweet Beginnings
- Wilted Pear and Shallot Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Almost Ina’s Coq au Vin
- Pork in Brandy Cream Sauce