This Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese and Arugula salad began as part of the Kitchen Cupboard Spring Cleaning Project, but never made it into print. In my late-spring push to begin posting seasonal recipes (during harvest), then the bustling activities of summer, something had to give.
Beach Trip Distraction
Fourth of July Parade Distraction
But this salad (and a couple more recipes that will come later) was such a keeper, I couldn’t let it slip by. And so, as I slowed down cooking a bit for the 4th of July weekend, I decided the salad’s time had come.
If you happen to have onion jam and sugared nuts on hand, the salad goes together in a snap with a gourmet taste that belies the ease of preparation. Perfect for any busy holiday time!
Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese and Arugula Salad
Makes 4 salads
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar (I used part truffle balsamic which is seriously awesome)
- 1/4 t prepared mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 c onion jam (or 1-2 onions sliced and caramelized in butter with a splash of balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 c candied nuts
- 3-4 oz goat cheese (a 3.5 oz crotin works perfectly)
1. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss arugula with dressing. Divide between four plates.
2. Warm onion jam (or caramelize onions) and distribute over salads. Sprinkle candied nuts on top and dot with pinches of goat cheese.
3. Serve immediately
4. Enjoy life some more…
Isn’t summer great!
- Organic Strawberry Syrup and Pancakes (or…)
- My State Fair Baking Experience