How are your New Year’s Resolutions going? Well I finally got around to starting keto and let me tell you. Sometimes it gets boring. At least for a beginner like me who doesn’t have a ton of alternative recipes. So, it was fun to try something novel like this Easy Thai Peanut Soup, even if it pushes the carb envelope a bit.
The soup brings together lots of classic Asian flavors. The coconut swirls around the peanut butter whose hint of sweetness blends with the ginger. All with a touch of heat. And while it isn’t the biggest flavor soup I make, it’s a tasty and warming combo. Plus, it’s ready super-fast!
Now when I first tried this soup, the flavor was a little flat. In the end a little sweetener pulled everything together. I’ve seen this before—in some recipes, sugar works almost like salt as a flavor enhancer, so I encourage you not to completely omit it. Of course, I used a stevia blend to minimize the damage to my diet.
And even though it is pretty much all natural, I was amazed at how quickly this soup came together–in about 10 minutes once I had the vegetables chopped. Gotta love food that doesn’t make you wait!
Yes, I think I’ve spent too much time watching bacon fry lately.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tablespooon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 10 ounces vegetable broth
- 14 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 Tablespoon sugar or equivalent substitute (or to taste)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Cook onion, celery, carrot and red pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, crushed red pepper, peanut butter, lime zest and lime juice. Stir until well combined.
- Add broth, coconut milk, soy sauce and sugar, and stir to combine well. Cook until heated through.
- Top with chopped roasted peanuts and cilantro as a garnish.
Peanut Butter Lovers Day
- Best Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Peanut Brittle by Daily Dish Recipes
- Dan Dan Noodles with Beef by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Easy Thai Peanut Soup by Art of Natural Living
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peanut Butter Babka by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Peanut Butter Bars by Intelligent Domestications
- Peanut Butter Blondies by Books n’ Cooks
- Rich and Creamy Microwave Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Fudge by That Recipe
- Thai Peanut Chicken Ramen by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Homemade Essential Oil Reed Diffusers
- Poor Man’s Lobster (Cod in Butter) Cook Off