Is it hot enough for you? With a toasty August following the hottest July on record, there has to be a silver lining somewhere.
Hmm, maybe it would be drinking a frozen cocktail like this Strawberry Daiquiri! Perhaps even better because it’s easy and all natural with this 5-ingredient recipe!
What is a Daiquiri?
Wikipedia tells me that a Daiquiri is “a family of cocktails whose main ingredients are rum, citrus juice (typically lime juice), and sugar or other sweetener. The daiquiri is one of the six basic drinks listed in David A. Embury’s classic The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.”
Now many people make drinks like daiquiris and margaritas using commercial mixes–which is super easy after all. But when I looked at the Margarita mix I had handy, it listed ingredients like: high fructose corn syrup, sodium hexamethphosphate, potassium sorbate (a preservative), polysorbate 60, sodium metabisulfate, yellow 5, blue 1.
Why go there when they are super easy to do all natural at home!
Step by Step Directions
How nice is that!
The Secret to Big Flavor
I always have frozen strawberries in my freezer and they are key to the very best frozen Strawberry Daiquiri. While many people will use fresh berries with some ice for the “frozen” part, the ice (since it’s water) will somewhat dilute the berries.
Using frozen berries is easy for me because every summer I freeze local berries to use all year round. Wisconsin’s season is short, but the freshly picked berries are juicy and flavorful. And I think they are enough tastier than commercial berries to be worth the effort to freeze individually, then dump into a big plastic tub. For more detail, take a look at my post on freezing strawberries!
But if you have fresh strawberries and are in too much of a hurry to freeze, don’t skip the drink due to that. You can always toss in some ice to freeze the drink. It will still be tasty!
Can I make an alcohol free cocktail?
When my waitress inquired about why I wasn’t drinking my drink, she was totally sympathetic and had a tip. If you go with a “virgin” drink, you want something loaded with flavor–next time go with Strawberry, she advised!
Of course, this means that with a drink as fresh and flavorful as this, you don’t need to worry the alcohol free version will lack appeal. Just substitute orange juice for the rum for a delicious Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri!
And if this has whet your whistle for some more tasty rum recipes, take a look below for more from some of my blogging friends!
- Bananas Foster Pancakes from The Spiffy Cookie
- Jungle Bird from Palatable Pastime
- Mojitos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Peachy Colada from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Rum Raisin Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Rumtopf from That Recipe
- Strawberry Daiquiri from Art of Natural Living
Natural Strawberry Daiquiri
- 6 frozen strawberries or 6 strawberries & a handful of ice
- 2 ounces white rum or 3 ounces orange juice for non-alcoholic version
- 1 T sugar or sweetener of your choice, or a bit more to taste (or less if using orange juice)
- 1 T lime juice from 1/2 lime
- slice of lime strawberry or other optional garnish
- Combine ingredients in blender and mix until smooth. Adjust sweetener to taste.
- Pour into serving glass and garnish (optional).
- Plum Frangipane Tart
- (Stovetop) Grilled Shrimp Tacos