If it’s winter, it’s time for chili. Is there another dish more fitting when the snow flies?
I liked to do 2-3 bulk recipes and freeze in meal sized servings. In a few weeks, I had lots of tubs stashed away and I knew I was safe from future dinner panic.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chili (or Dutch Oven Chili)
Transfer to slow cooker (unless doing Dutch Oven Chili), then stir in beer or broth, beans and spices. Cover and cook–details in recipe below.
Gather up fun toppings and serve!
Of course, a big part of chili fun is the chili toppings. Some great ideas include:
- Sour cream
- Chopped onion
- Grated Cheese
- Corn chips
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Avocado
I like to put out bowls and let everyone serve up their own. Then it’s tasty, healthy and FUN!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dark beer (or beef stock)
- 1 quart canned tomatoes (home canned or commercial)
- 2 cans kidney beans (or beans of your choice)
- 1 6-ounce jar tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Sautee ground beef until browned, crumbling well. Drain excess fat if needed (some should remain). Add garlic, onion, bell peppers and poblano peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Transfer mixture to slow cooker if using. Stir in beer (or stock), drained beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 4-5 hours. To oven bake, cover and bake in 275 oven about 5 hours. Check liquid periodically
Serve with bowls of whatever garnishes you like and let everyone add their own.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
Nutrition data accuracy may vary with product selection, calculator accuracy, etc. Consult a professional for the best information.
Slow Cooking Suppers
- Pulled Pork Chili by That Recipe
- Slow Cooker Asian-Style Pot Roast by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slow Cooker Chili by Art of Natural Living
- Slow Cooker Cottage Ham by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini and Sausage Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Slow Cooker Garlic-Parmesan Chicken by Making Miracles
- Slow Cooker Meatball Sliders by Blogghetti
- Slow Cooker Pork al Pastor by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Vegetarian Chili Mac by Magical Ingredients
- One Pan Tuscan Salmon
- Pecan Cornmeal Muffins