Now that I’m older, I plan to spend the evening more simply, reading by the fire with a glass of Irish Cream. (After driving the kids from event to event and before dropping into bed exhausted.)
To make my “homey” St. Pat’s Day even more homespun, I have made my own Irish Cream—with mostly organic ingredients–everything but the whiskey! Homemade Irish Cream is easy, delicious and economical, though how economical depends on the quality of whiskey you decide to use ;-).
And in case that “cream” word scares you, there is even good news on the dairy fat front. The Dec 21, 2011 edition of the Annals of Internal Medicine discusses the recent discovery of natural substance in dairy fat that may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. This compound is found in milk, cheese, yogurt, and butter and is not produced by the body. For more information see the Harvard Gazette.
Homemade Irish Cream Liquor
Ingredients (organic if available)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 – 1 2/3 cups Irish whiskey (I used one cup)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules or 1/2 T strong brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used homemade)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Mix all ingredients in blender
2. Store, covered, in the refrigerator and use within a month or two. The chocolate will tend to settle so shake up the bottle before using.
I bought an economical whiskey for this figuring that I wasn’t much of a whiskey connoisseur. Next time I will try something higher end because I think that would make it even better (not that it needs to be better).
Irish Cream is great straight and delicious added to coffee. A great way to take the last edge off of winter!
- Whitefish in Dill Sauce
- Irish Brown Soda Bread