I am big on cooking local food from scratch. But sometimes you need a little help–you never know when a small crisis is going to hit! That’s why I love a food that has options, like this Thai Carrot Slaw. With julienned carrots in a slightly spicy, peanut-y sauce, it can go local or pre-cut and super-simple.
Recently a light bulb went on with respect to making julienned vegetables. I discovered that it is (relatively) easy to turn carrots into nice little “matchsticks” with a mandoline. So I can either make this recipe with my (many, many) CSA carrots–or I can use prepared carrots from the market. On a good day, I’ve even julienned broccoli stems and added them to the mix!
When I was doing the whole corporate-mom bit, it took daily creativity to keep home cooked food on the table. Late meeting? Brown grass-fed beef, add jarred sauce and pour over whole wheat spaghetti. Killer day? Pull a hearty stew from the freezer and hit the bakery for a whole grain bread. Add a salad of bagged lettuce or (pre-spun) CSA greens for a second veggie.
Done. Finished. Get in the car and drive kids around all evening.
But even though life has lightened up some, it’s easy to get in a pinch. How about a little outpatient surgery with a lifting restriction the size of a big glass of milk? Or a mother’s car accident with a six week hospitalization… (she’s fine now, whew).
I was first inspired to experiment with an Asian inspired Thai carrot slaw by the discovery of a three color organic julienned carrot mix in the grocery store–eat a rainbow, right? Then I realized I could make them at home and it was over the top.
Options are wonderful—whatever kind of day you are having. Yes, I see a have-to-catch-a-movie crisis coming up!
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons mild olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice ( from 1 lime)
- 1 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of sriracha or other hot sauce (optional, to taste)
- 2 T rice wine vinegar (or another vinegar)
- 10 ounces carrots, julienned (1 package or about 5 cups of homemade)
- Optional garnish such as black sesame seeds, cilantro or parsley.
- In a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, soften the peanut butter in the microwave. Add the olive oil, stirring until you have a smooth mixture
- Add the remaining ingredients except the carrots, and whisk together until well-blended.
- Mix in the julienned carrots and stir until evenly coated.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, or black sesame seeds, or other garnish of your choice.
- Carrot Pie -Formerly Known as Sweet Potato Pie
- Scandinavian Red Cabbage