One of the best things about blogging is the friends you make. Today some of my local blogging buddies are holding a Sizzling Summer Blog Hop Giveaway (more below). And as my part in this, I am giving away the ingredients (other than the sweetener) for “Algerian Tea” which you can drink hot or cold.
Algerian Tea was discovered by oldest daughter in her new away-at-school town. Isn’t it great when your kids get old enough to show you new foods? A favorite restaurant of hers serves Middle Eastern food–lots of flavor for a student friendly price. For my birthday and she took me there for lunch where I fell in love with their Algerian Tea. We speculated about the complex flavors and what spices must go into it and then asked on the way out. To our surprise they told us “It’s just Earl Grey tea, mint and a whole lot of sugar.” That sounds like something I could do!
As soon as I got home it was time to experiment and we had hot Algerian tea for the winter (which is truthfully my favorite version). But with summer here, I thought I would do an iced version as well–mmm! My youngest even tossed out her orange soda (leftover from her birthday party) when offered the Iced Algerian Tea instead.
Algerian Tea 1, Junk Food 0! Hooray! And if you’d like to give it a try, enter my giveaway below!
Some Tea Facts
- One tea bag is equivalent to approximately a rounded teaspoon (a measuring spoon) of loose tea, though this will vary by type of tea. While this may seem surprising if you weigh them you will see they both weigh about 2 grams
- Most sources recommend a tea bag (or rounded teaspoon) of tea per 6 ounces of water
- According to the Today show, tea may protect against cancer, reduce your risk of heart disease and strengthen your bones. How great is that!
- For more interesting info, check out these tea FAQs
- For the recipe, see the very bottom of this blog post!
Sizzling Summer Blog Hop
Now more on the giveaways! First I highly recommend you check out the other blogs-there are so many wonderful items perfect for summer–popsicle molds, ice cream supplies, cookbooks and more. You can link directly to each blog from the graphic below (just hover over the prize picture or the blog name at the bottom). A special thanks to Philia, our organizer, from SweetPhi.
I am giving away a 1 lb bag of Organic Fair Trade Earl Grey Tea, a 1 lb bag of Organic Fair Trade Spearmint and a Tea Infuser, roughly a $50 value. (I think this will keep someone in tea for a while!)
It is sponsored by Art of Natural Living and open to mailing addresses in the US. To enter, leave a comment letting me know your favorite summer beverage. For an additional entry, subscribe to Art of Natural Living (enter email address on sidebar) or “like” Art of Natural Living on Facebook and let me know in another comment (or tell me if you are already a subscriber). The winner will be picked randomly, contacted by email and have 48 hours to get back to me with an address or a new winner will be chosen. The contest ends at midnight CDT, July 12, 2014.
Congratulations to our winner–Mary H–and thanks to everyone who entered!
- • 3 t Earl Grey tea (use rounded measuring spoon, so actually a bit more than 3 t)
- • 1 t dried mint (use rounded measuring spoon again)
- • 2 1/2 c boiling water
- • 3 Tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- Place Earl Grey and Mint in warmed teapot.
- Add 2 1/2 c boiling water and let steep for 10 minutes
- Strain, then sweeten with 3 T sugar or to taste.
- For Iced tea, use 6 rounded teaspoons Earl Greay and 2 rounded teaspoons of mint. Top with 2 1/2 c boiling water. Let steep 15 minutes then strain. Add 1/2 cup sugar (or sweetener to taste) and stir until dissolved. Add ice and cold water to a total of 6 cups. Serve on ice and garnish with mint for 6 servings.
- How to Divide Hostas (for the Weekend Gardener)
- Summer Strawberry Curd