My doctor told me to eat dark chocolate. Daily. Like a prescription. Gotta love that in a doctor! I guess that makes these chocolate covered cherry muffins just what the doctor ordered!
These muffins were inspired by the 20 lb. case of cherries I got recently. Along with some new chocolate chips I just found with a healthier 60% cacao. Doesn’t that seem like fate?
The brandy came later when I decided my first attempt needed a flavor boost and thought of the boozy chocolate covered cherries in chocolate boxes. Mmmm! If you need to avoid alcohol, don’t worry–you can always use milk instead. (Or for a real kick, swap out the remaining milk for brandy—yes, I do like my boozy fruit!)
Did you know that cherries are a now included in many superfood lists? According to Health.com, their rich red color comes from “anthocyanin, which can reduce inflammation and lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels. In a recent study, University of Michigan researchers found that giving cherries to lab rats reduced two common markers of blood vessel inflammation by up to 50%.” Just in case their great flavor isn’t enough!
I can’t believe it’s August already. My fall raspberries are popping out an occasional fruit and one of my daughters goes back to school in a week. Summer is passing too fast!
All the more reason to indulge in summer’s goodness–like chocolate covered cherry muffins!
- • 1 egg
- • ¼ cup skim milk
- • ¼ cup brandy (see note)
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 1/4 cup butter, melted
- • 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- • 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- • 1/3 cup sugar
- • 2 teaspoon baking powder
- • 1 cup chopped cherries
- • ½ cup chocolate chips
- Beat egg with a fork, then combine with milk, brandy and vanilla
- Add melted butter to egg/milk mixture, stirring (to avoid cooking the egg)
- Mix the flours, sugar and baking powder together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, then fold in the cherries and chocolate chips
- Bake at 400 degrees until inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- You can use milk instead of the brandy if you prefer.
- Cherries in Red Wine
- Grilled Vegetable, Bread & Tomato Salad (Panzanella)