Lately I’m into easy appetizers. But they still have to taste great. And this one is even pretty healthy from a nutrition perspective. How lucky is that!
I got the recipe from a neighbor at a lovely dinner last summer. We were both hosting visiting artists for a local music festival and she decided we should all get together!
A delicious dinner, great conversation and a new recipe. That’s my idea of a fun night out!
When I made these for a blog trial my husband and I had some as a late night snack. Which meant we ended up with some leftovers. I had planned to reheat the leftovers in the microwave, which I’m sure would have been great. But in the end, I fried up some squares in a little hot oil and they were amazing with a beautiful browned cheese exterior.
So here you are, an tasty appetizer that comes with a second act. Next time I just may have to start with a double batch!
- 4 T butter
- 1 lb. grated cheddar
- 10 oz. chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- small onion, minced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup skim milk (or your choice)
- 3 eggs
- Melt butter, then pour into 9 x 13 pan. Swirl to cover bottom
- Mix grated cheddar, thawed spinach, chopped onion and mushrooms until evenly distributed.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Combine with cheddar mixture
- Whisk eggs, then add milk and whisk again briefly. Pour over the cheddar mixture and stir to combine
- Dollap over butter in pan, then press lightly in place.
- Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool slightly before cutting.
- Fusion Bruschetta
- Peppermint Brownie Madeleines