Cheese filled tortellini, covered in creamy parmesan sauce, flavored with bacon and garlic–it’s a classic knockoff I call Cheese Tortellini Carbonara!
Extra bacon. Extra Cheese. Because.
I still remember the first time I had pasta carbonara—it was in grad school. Many years ago. The dish was so tasty, I vowed to make it again. Soon.
Okay, I guess I missed out on that soon part.
It was our family vacation last month that finally pushed me into making it, with a slight change to Cheese Tortellini Carbonara. We had rented a timeshare in beautiful Captiva, FL and brought down three kids and a boyfriend. It was pretty near a dream vacation. Except how to make food that would please everyone?
Creamy pasta is always a crowd pleaser and my youngest would be happy eating mac ‘n cheese three times a day. I just needed an adult version. With flavor that would knock your socks off. Food bloggers tend to raise kids with… expectations.
So I decided to try the carbonara. And I went with cheese tortellini instead of the traditional spaghetti. ‘Cause there’s no such thing as too much cheese!
This dish cooks up fast so it’s a near perfect vacation entree. I added salad and garlic bread for a meal that was a hands-down favorite!
I wish I’d taken pictures of the dinner in Florida—just to convey the fun we had. But it was no problem getting later pictures. ‘Cause this Cheese Tortellini Carbonara is a keeper!
- • 20 ounces cheese tortellini (2 10-ounce packages)
- • 8 ounces bacon, cut in half
- • 6 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- • 3 eggs
- • 5 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- • Salt, Black pepper
- • Couple tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Pour tortellini into the pot and cook according to package directions, using lower end number if there is a range. Reserve 1 cup water for sauce and discard the rest. If the sauce isn’t ready when done (mine was), drizzle the pasta with a little oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- While pasta water is heating, cut bacon strips in half and cook in a large frying pan. Cook bacon until crisp. Move bacon to platter and set aside. Discard all but 3 Tablespoons of bacon fat (see note).
- Add garlic to the saute pan and cook for a minute or two, until starting to turn light gold. Remove from heat, then add cooked pasta and mix together well.
- Beat together eggs and cheese. Mix into the pasta pan, then set back on the stove, and cook until sauce is thickened. Add reserved pasta water as needed.
- Stir reserved bacon back in and season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Top with chopped parsley. Serve with additional grated cheese if desired
- Note: can drain bacon grease and replace with 3 T olive oil for a healthier alternative
- Cheese Tortellini Carbonara by Art of Natural Living
- Chicken and Bacon Ragu by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Club Pasta by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dandan Noodles by That Recipe
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Chicken Pasta by Daily Dish Recipes
- One-Pot Chicken Feta Alfredo by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pasta Skillet by Family Around the Table
- Taco Stuffed Shells by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork in Brandy Cream Sauce
- Low-Carb Scotch Eggs, Four Ways