Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast brings you spicy & blue cheesy flavor in a healthy baked entrée. With six ingredients its perfect for weeknight football dinner!
This Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast began as a problem — like many of my recent recipes (alas). It all started at the American Cheese Society Conference, where I bought a lot of cheese. Pounds and pounds. ‘Nuf said?
Though as problems go, I guess it’s not so bad 🙂
Now some of the hard cheeses that I bought were wrapped well and put in the freezer (did you know that many cheeses freeze well?). Yes, come the holidays, we’ll be having some killer cheese plates.
Then I set to work on finding things to do with the rest including a lovely pile of blue cheese. I remembered using it in buffalo chicken sliders a while back. Could I do a new variation?
I wanted an entrée this time, rather than a sandwich, and I wanted it healthy, so I decided to try a Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast.
I cut some chicken breast thin (my piece was ginormous–if you start with a smaller breast, I would pound rather than slice).
Then I topped with a couple tablespoons of blue cheese, folded in the sides and the top and bottom flaps over
Next I breaded with egg and bread crumbs
Finally I baked and topped with buffalo wing sauce to create this Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast.
And the results were (drum roll) easy and delicious! With football coming up, I decided it’s a perfect game dinner, perhaps with some fresh local sweet corn and a piece of fruit.
Here’s to problems!
- 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (total of about 12 ounces)
- ¼ cup blue cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (ideally panko but anything will work)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce
- Slice a very thick chicken breast half so that is about ½ inch thick (pound as well if needed) or pound two smaller breast halves until about ½ inch thick.
- Place about 2 tablespoons blue cheese in the center of each breast. Fold the sides up slightly over the cheese, then fold the top and bottom flaps over (see picture above).
- Coat each rolled breast in bread crumbs, then beaten egg, then bread crumbs again. Place in baking dish and drizzle each breast with about a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Bake at 350 until cooked through (internal temperature should read at least 165), about 40 minutes. Remove from pan, top with buffalo wing sauce (to taste) and serve warm.
- Honey Matcha Scones #ISW2018
- Confetti Corn with Peppers and Herbs