You may already be somewhat familiar with today’s Butter Lettuce Strawberry Salad. There is a popular version circulating on the internet, prepared with spinach.
But I prefer my mother’s version–made using butter lettuce. I like the way the sweet-tender lettuce pairs with the juicy berries and contrasts with the crisp pecans. All topped with a rosy poppy seed dressing. A perfect spring into summer salad.
It seems to be a glorious year for strawberries this year. The local farms are delivering them early—and even the wild berries are growing, thumbnail-sized, along the edge of my vegetable garden. No complaints here!
In case you missed the news, try to buy organic strawberries if you can. This year strawberries hit the #1 spot on the Environmental Working Groups Dirty Dozen list of most contaminated fruits and vegetables. But I think there’s a silver lining—organic strawberries are popping up in a lot more places now! Yeah, grass roots food movement!
I hadn’t had this Butter Lettuce Strawberry Salad in years, but recently it’s become the hit of my mother’s retirement community party group. They have a regular potlucks and always (“ALWAYS,” she complains with a smile) ask her to bring this.
Finally, I asked her to bring it to a family potluck where we all basked in delicious nostalgia. Why should the seniors have all the fun!
So give it a try while the strawberries are abundant. Dozens of retired party animals can’t be wrong!
- 3/4 lb butter lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (about 2-3 heads)
- 1 pint of strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans, (ideally) toasted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion (or onion powder)
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Blend dressing ingredients except poppy seeds in a blender or shaker. Mix until well combined, then stir in poppy seeds.
- Mix torn lettuce, sliced strawberries and toasted pecans in a large salad bowl. Top with dressing and toss.
- Serve immediately.
- Refreshing Peach Bellini
- Lemon Balm Pesto with Shrimp