I am a huge chili relleno fan. The meal of cheese-stuffed poblano pepper fried in egg batter and topped with salsa just ticks all the boxes for me. In the past, I bought them, frozen, from Trader Joe’s—but then I learned how easy they are to make!
And this delicious soup, from A Sweet Life is even easier! Even my “too hot for me” husband had two bowls!
The original recipe isn’t thickened, but I did add some flour to make it even thicker and creamier. When I go keto, I’ll be skipping that part, or switching to xanthan gum.
There was one problem when I first served it up–I forgot to add the chicken. We decided it was delicious with or without, so if you are vegetarian (or out of chicken), just skip the meat and you won’t miss it.
The original recipe had cheese sprinkled on top and broiled. When I tried this, the sprinkles sank into the soup, so I broke down and stirred it all in. So I garnished with salsa and cilantro instead.
- • 5 poblano peppers, chopped
- • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 onion chopped
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 tsp ground cumin
- • 8 ounces cream cheese
- • 2 + Tablespoons flour to thicken (optional)
- • 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- • ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- • 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast (optional)
- • 3 1/2 cups shredded cheese (see note)
- • Garnish with chopped cilantro and salsa
- Chop poblanos and onions, medium fine, in a food processor or by hand.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add chopped onion and poblanos and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook another minute.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes, then add, stirring until melted and blended in. Stir in flour if using.
- Slowly pour in broth and mix to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened if using flour (the grated cheese will finish the thickening).
- Add meat if using and cook until heated through.
- Add grated cheese and whisk until melted and incorporated.
- To serve, divide into 6 bowls and top with salsa and chopped cilantro or parsley.
- I used a mix of cheddar and pepper jack
Hearty Homemade Soup
- Best Chicken Noodle Soup by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Chicken BLT Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chili Rellano Soup by Art of Natural Living
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Dandelion Green Soup by That Recipe
- French Dip Onion Soup by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Quick Homemade Ham and Bean Soup by Our Good Life
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Weeknight Minestrone Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Zuppa Toscana by Sweet Beginnings
- Winter Citrus Salad
- Almost Ina’s Coq au Vin