I had high hopes when I decided to try this unique new salad. And happily, my hopes were well founded!
The reason for such great expectations? The recipe came from one of my CSAs, Springdale Farm, where I had eaten a delicious lunch last February. The foods were all vegetarian and I was delighted and impressed with the taste and variety served.
This salad brings together a wide variety of flavors, however, and a little part of me worried it wouldn’t come together. But after dragging a forkful of salad through the homemade mayonnaise, well… it was pure delight.
One of the owners of the CSA is Dutch and I had to wonder if it was an old family recipe. I left it almost exactly as written, but did reduce the dressing some. But never fear, it’s served with a lovely dollop of mayo “on the side” so plenty rich.
Now one thing that I strongly suggest is that you go with a good, real mayonnaise if you make this. I always say that mayo is either for flavor or for sticking things together. If you just need the stick, a nice light mayo is fine, but for flavor you want something real.
And if you’ve always wondered about making your own, I have a homemade mayo recipe here that has (literally) never failed me. Now might be the time!
- 1 cup diced cooked potatoes
- 1 cup diced cooked beets
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- ½ cup firm cheese cubes (e.g. Gouda, Cheddar, Edam)
- ¼ cup diced pickle
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (or more) good mayonnaise
Combine salad ingredients and toss until well mixed.
Whisk together dressing ingredients then toss with salad.
Serve salad with a generous dollop of mayonnaise.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g
Nutrition data accuracy may vary with product selection, calculator accuracy, etc. Consult a professional for the best information.
Positively Perfect Potatoes
- Cajun Potato Salad by That Recipe
- Dutch Farm Salad by Art of Natural Living
- Greek Potatoes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
- JoJo Potato Wedges by Making Miracles
- Loaded Mashed Potato Patties by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Oven Roasted Breakfast Potatoes by Blogghetti
- Pizza Style Baked Potatoes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic Potato Loaves by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Twice Baked Potatoes by Family Around the Table
- Sablefish with Chanterelles
- Easy Essential Oil Projects