When I told my youngest that I was making low-carb cauliflower mac n cheese, she looked at me with scorn. That’s just cheesy cauliflower, was her retort.
I found a recipe on Delish that basically converted one of the popular regular mac recipes to keto. I simplified it just a little bit, then added bacon (on my second try, so not in the pictures).
Now back in my first round of keto I admit to having a couple nutrition concerns. Since all of my meat comes pastured right from the farm, I was less worried about fat than some. But I did struggle sometimes to get in my vegetables and calcium.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Mac n Cheese
- 1 T Butter for baking dish
- 1 medium heads cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 oz. cream cheese cut into cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- ¼ cup bacon bits optional
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds can sub panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet toss cauliflower with 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Spread cauliflower out and roast until just starting to brown, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 F.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat cream in a large saucepan. Add cream cheese cubes and stir until melted. Gradually add remaining cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat, add bacon if using, then fold in roasted cauliflower. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Butter an 8x8 baking dish. Transfer mixture to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle cauliflower mixture with pork rind crumbs and finely grated parmesan. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving if you can wait to dig in!
Magnificent Mac and Cheese
- Brat and Beer Mac and Cheese by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Creamy Baked Mac N Cheese by Making Miracles
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Mac N Cheese by Art of Natural Living
- Smoked 5 Cheese Mac and Cheese by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Gouda & Cheddar Mac N Cheese by Sweet Beginnings
- Spinach and Artichoke Mac and Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cheese Burek with Puff Pastry
- Summer DIY Essential Oil Projects