I am a serious pear lover—and consider them one of our more underrated fruits. Plentiful and affordable, they are good fresh, and also super in recipes from sweet to savory.
I even use them instead of apples in my Broccoli Waldorf Salad.
Now for some reason pears make me think of the holidays. Perhaps because they’re one of our last local fruits as we go into a season of beautiful eating. And this salad fits right in with the wine and cinnamon flavor!
My other tribute to the holidays comes from the addition of pomegranate seeds and pistachio nuts. I’ll take red and green accents any way I can get them. And of course, creamy goat cheese is a perfect compliment to the crunchy salad!
- 1 c red wine
- 1 c water
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pears, slightly underripe if possible
- 3 cups mixed greens or other lettuce
- 2 ounces fresh chevre (goat cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tablespoon poaching liquid
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, pepper or to taste
- Mix poaching liquid in a small to medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Peel pears and cut in half. Remove seeds with a small rounded measuring spoon, leaving stem intact.
- Gently place pears in poaching liquid, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn every 5 minutes to ensure even color, until pears are colorful, but firm tender. Remove pears with slotted spoon. (Pears can be served hot or cold.)
- Place 11/2 cup of greens on a salad plate then top with two pear halves, half of the goat cheese, pomegranate seeds and nuts.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Drizzle salad with the dressing and serve.
- Garnish with sage or other fresh herbs if desired.
National Pear Day
- Asian Pear and Smoked Sausage Flatbread Pizza by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Brown Butter and Pear Blondies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gingered Cranberry Pear Sauce by That Recipe
- Poached Pear Salad with Goat Cheese by Art of Natural Living
- Rustic Pear and Almond Tart by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan Dark Chocolate Pear Layer Cake by The Baking Fairy
- Squash Rounds with Maple Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Espresso Custard Pie