Want to eat light but don’t want to give up “sandwiches”? How about trying a Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wrap?
Wraps are great! You can eat them with your hands, they can hold a lot of “stuff”… And if you make it a lettuce wrap, it might just help you get ready for swim suit season!
The idea for my Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wrap began when my Sunday blogging group decided to do sandwiches–and I was stymied. How could I make a sandwich low-carb? And if I succeeded would my carb-happy husband eat it?
Since I had previously done a Salmon BLAT lettuce wrap, I knew this could work!
And I had some delicious large shrimp. Fresh from Texas and sold out of a refrigerated truck.
When you’re buying shrimp, you may want to be aware of its origin. Southeast Asian shrimp farming operations have a reputation for labor abuses, environmental degradation and quality issues like the use of antibiotic sand preservatives that you may not want in your diet.
But in the meantime, give my Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wrap a try. I found it a perfect sandwich substitute, much lighter and loaded with flavor. And even my husband said it was a great break from another hamburger.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliiced
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, ideally raw
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- Zest from one lime
- Juice from ½ a large lime, reserve the other half
- 2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon red curry paste or curry powder (may reduce if you are timid)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup choopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from reserved half lime
Sautee peppers and onion in oil. When nearly tender add shrimp and garlic.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flavor mix. When shrimp is nearly done, stir in flavor mix and stir until incorporated.
Spoon on to lettuce leaves, allowing sufficient uncovered space for guests to “wrap”
Top with chopped cilantro & lime juice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 1506mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 19gProtein: 29g
Nutrition data accuracy may vary with product selection, calculator accuracy, etc. Consult a professional for the best information.
Popular Pannini and Sandwich Recipes
- Grilled Cheese with Egg by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Keto Katsu SPAM-do (Katsu Sando) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Open Faced Tuna Melts by That Recipe
- Raspberry Chipotle Turkey Melt by Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Cuban Sandwich by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Thai Shrimp Lettuce Wrap by Art of Natural Living
- Turkey Bruschetta Panini by Making Miracles
- Pan Roasted Kohlrabi with Radishes or Turnips
- S’mores Panna Cotta