Fresh mozzarella is all the rage. In salads, or appetizers, it can put a recipe over the top! But let me tell you about a special variety that really shines. It’s called Burrata–like in this Burrata with Roasted Strawberries and Red Wine Sauce.
Now at first glance, a ball of Burrata looks at a lot like fresh mozzarella. But examine it closely and you see a pillow of fresh cheese filled with soft curd and cream. Per Wikipedia “The outer shell is solid mozzarella, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture.”
Just in case fresh cheese isn’t soft and creamy enough!
I’ve seen some killer gorgeous Burrata recipes crossing the internet which was part of my inspiration. But I was also looking to find good ways to use frozen berries since I have buckets left from a farmer friend’s summer harvest. (Yes, I know, a good problem!) Frozen worked perfectly here—they needed just the slightest thawing to halve before roasting.
This Burrata with Roasted Strawberries comes together quickly–in just over a half hour—and most of that time you are free while the berries roast. No berries? You could even top the burrata with good quality preserves (e.g. Cherries in Red Wine). In which case dessert prep would take, like, zero minutes.
Just one heads up—Burrata is a pricey ingredient, so this may be better for a special small dinner than feeding a crowd. I am thinking it would make a lovely Valentine’s Day dessert, with the ruby red color and touch of wine.
And speaking of Valentine’s Day, I have an unusual (for me) giveaway. I bought some earrings for a Christmas gift and learned the intended recipient wasn’t wearing earrings anymore. So, I am offering up a pair of heart shaped silver earrings and a glass heart pendant (without chain) in honor of Valentine’s Day. ‘Cause love is healthy, for sure!
The giveaway is open to US residents and closes February 5, at midnight CST. To enter, leave a comment below telling me if you have a favorite Valentine’s day dessert. For a second entry, follow Art of Natural Living on Pinterest and leave a second comment below letting me know you are a follower. The winner will be picked randomly, contacted by email and have 24 hours to get back to me with mailing information or a new winner will be chosen.
- 1 pint berries or 10-12 oz package frozen berries
- 1 T good balsamic vinegar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 T sugar
- ¼ C red wine
- 1 T sugar
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- ½ tub of Burrata (1 ball)
- Slice larger berries in half (only thaw enough to cut if using frozen), then toss with balsamic, vanilla and sugar. Roast at 400 F until soft and juicy (about 25 min for frozen berries)
- Pour off the berry juices into a small saucepan, then add red wine, 1 T sugar and cinnamon. Cook on medium high until reduced and slightly thickened.
- Cut the burrata ball in half and set on a small plate. Top with roasted berries and wine sauce. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
- Citrus Salad with Blue Cheese
- One Dish Mediterranean White Fish