What makes a great summer dish? Something that is light? Fresh? Easy? And delicious, of course! Just like this Cantaloupe Caprese Salad!
When the recipe popped into my email from Foodiecrush, I was intrigued. Since I had four cantaloupes and a party coming, it went to the top of my “recipes to try” list! Melon balls, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, basil and mint topped with a light honey vinaigrette—doesn’t that say summer!
We ate the salad among other lovely dishes on a 14th floor balcony overlooking the city. Everyone enjoyed it and there was a single serving left which I had for breakfast the next day. I guess that makes this a brunch candidate as well!
Later in the week my sister mentioned that she was planning to serve cantaloupe at a dinner party she was having but was worried it was a bit plain. I have an answer, ding, ding, ding— Cantaloupe Caprese Salad.
- 2 cantaloupes, halved and seeded
- 1 8-ounce container fresh mozzarella balls
- 6-8 slices prosciutto, shredded into large pieces (1-4 ounce package)
- ¼ cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Scoop balls from the cantaloupe halves with a melon baller and add to a large bowl. Drain the fresh mozzarella balls and add to melon. Add the torn prosciutto and sprinkle with the basil and mint leaves.
- Whisk the olive oil, honey and white wine vinegar together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle over the cantaloupe and toss to coat.
- Strawberry Simple Syrup (or Blueberry or …)
- World Elephant Day Thin Spice Cookies (Pepparkakor)