With earthy chopped beats, tart sour cream and minced red onion, this Creamy Beet Salad is tasty, easy and pretty enough for any spring buffet.
Beets are technically a fall food. That’s when they’re harvested after all. But I’ve always liked them for spring with their rosy color and great keeping ability. Yes, a few fall CSA beets are always left in the back of the fridge, well into April.
The leftover beets work beautifully for making pickled eggs or dyeing Easter eggs. But recently I tasted a delicious German Creamy Beet Salad made with sour cream. Now I have even more reason to be happy they keep!
I discovered the salad while doing some video work (a month ago, before covid-19 was big) at one of my CSAs. They invited me to their weekly team lunch full of amazing food including this beet salad. Since I usually get more beets from my CSAs than I use, this was a particularly lucky discovery!
I found lots of recipes for this online and decided to go as simple as possible, using just 3 ingredients. Hey, that means there’s less to be out of in these days of no impulse runs to the grocery store.
To be efficient, I chopped both the beets and onion in my food processor, which was probably less attractive than hand-dicing. But I’m sticking with easy for now.
After mixing with the tart rich sour cream, the flavor blend was amazing.
Now I think I’m going to have to hunt down a few more beets to get me to summer. Lately, I have become even more conscious of the nutrition in the foods I’m preparing. Eat a rainbow!
Yup, after I finished off this Creamy Beet Salad, I even went into my CSA veggie rating system and edited next year’s beet quantities higher!
Creamy Beet Salad
- 2 medium-large beets about 1lb.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced red onion
- Salt pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If beets have tops slice off the tops and wash beets thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and bake until tender, approximately 50 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel cooled beets, then chop to desired size (I used my food processor)
- In a medium sized bowl combine beets, sour cream and minced onion. Stir to combine, then taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate any leftovers, covered.
Fresh Spring Sides Dishes
- Blueberry Ginger Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Creamed Beet Salad by Art of Natural Living
- Creamy Parmesan Asparagus Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Grilled Asparagus with Fresh Gremolata by That Recipe
- Honey Roasted Carrot Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemony Asparagus Pasta Salad by Making Miracles
- Orzo Pasta Salad by Blogghetti
- Roasted Balsamic Asparagus and Mushrooms by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Carrots, Potatoes, and Green Beans by Eat Move Make
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Vanilla Confetti Madeleines
- Butterscotch Pie with Pecan Crust