Golden, sweet and chewy these 4-ingredient granola bar cookies come together in five minutes of working time. Mom and kid-pleasing!
These fun cookies go way back–at least as far as the crunchy granola 70s. When my mother made them back then, she called them Scotch Teas. Bur my kids took one look and re-christened them Granola Bar Cookies.
The tasty treats have a couple of nice traits. Besides containing a serious amount of oatmeal, they are so easy to make that it almost feels like cheating. Melt, stir, pour, bake, cut. Done!
The recipe is an update of one of my very early posts. I figured it was time to spiff up the photos, put the recipe in a recipe format—AND I figured out a little trick to make them even easier. Plus my Sunday blogging friends are doing cereal recipes (see below) so the timing was perfect!
Of course, re-reading the original, it was fun to look back at the school treat years. I had written:
Earlier this year we were going through a lot of treats. Five dozen baked goods for the school musical, four dozen for children’s choir and “we’ll take whatever we can get” for swim club (you know how hungry those athletes get)!
How to Make Granola Bar Cookies
The cookies really are super easy to make. You:
Combine butter or margarine and sugar in saucepan. Cook and stir until melted.
Press into parchment-lined pan, then bake
Granola Bar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine for vegan
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine butter and sugar in saucepan. Cook and stir until melted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into greased, parchment-lined 8 x 8 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Cut while still warm but leave in pan until partly cooled and hardened.
Cereal Isn’t Just for Breakfast
- Captain Crunch Marshmallow Krispies by Blogghetti
- Cheerios and Cinnamon Smoothie by Magical Ingredients
- Lucky Charms Smoothie by Our Good Life
- Lucky Charms Treats by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Melt and Stir Granola Bar Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- No Bake Cereal Bars by Making Miracles
- No Bake Date and Nut Cookies by That Recipe
- Raisin Bran Muffins by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Twice-Baked Cornflake Potatoes by Palatable Pastime
- Suburban Sugar Shack (Backyard Maple Syrup)
- Seafood Pasta Puttanesca