Spiced Caramel Apple Hot Toddy
Sweet, spicy and warming, there is nothing like a Caramel Apple Hot Toddy to warm up the season. With brandy or without!
I am a serious lover of hot mulled apple cider. I have many fond memories of the drink, sipped fireside or carried through festive street markets–cup steaming and clutched for warmth.
But this year, given…, umm, this year, I wanted to make it extra special. So, I decided to add some caramel overtones and turn it into a Spiced Caramel Apple Hot Toddy.
It’s great with a shot of brandy or easily goes alcohol free for kids or teetotalers!
To prepare the drink, I mulled some cider, then topped it with some pumpkin spiced whipped cream. Finally I added a drizzle of caramel (you can buy this or go with my homemade caramel syrup) and an optional cinnamon stick for garnish.
To drink, I stirred it all together to push caramel flavor throughout. Or sipping through the cream is another great option.
The apple base and golden color of this drink evokes the beauty of fall. But the warmth is perfect all the way until spring. Yes, I can see myself taking off snowshoes and grabbing a cup in February. Or serving it up at a New Year’s Eve un-party.
Yes, winter and the holidays are going to be different this year. But I’ll miss bar hopping a whole lot less with a delicious Caramel Apple Hot Toddy in hand! And check out some more hot toddy options below!
Caramel Apple Hot Toddy
Spice Mix (see note)
- 3 dried cloves whole
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3 dried allspice whole
- 1 small piece ginger chopped
- ½ cup apple cider ideally organic
- 1 ½ ounces apple jack or brandy, omit for non-alcoholic
- 3 Tablespoons whipped cream spiced or regular
- ½ Tablespoon caramel syrup
- Put spice mix ingredients and cider into a small saucepan. Heat just to boiling, remove from heat and let sit, covered for about 5 minutes (like steeping tea).
- Scoop out the spices or strain the cider. Heat the brandy or apple jack (if using) and add to the cider. Transfer to glass mug or other serving glass.
- Top with (spiced) whipped cream and drizzle with caramel syrup (heat if needed to drizzle).
Drinks to Warm You Up
- Bailey’s Irish Coffee by Making Miracles
- Red Wine Hot Cocoa by That Recipe
- Spiced Caramel Apple Hot Toddy by Art of Natural Living
- Spiced Up Turmeric Milk by Magical Ingredients
- Turkish Delight Coffee by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
- Pumpkin Spiced Whipped Cream
- Essential Oil Holiday Gifting
Dad gave us hot toddies when we were not feeling well. This looks like comfort in a cup to me.
Definitely with the shot of brandy, please. 🙂
This is something new to me, hot mulled apple cider. When I hear cider it is always cold and summer for me. Got to try this, definitely sounds really good.
This sounds so good. I love caramel and apples and this sounds like the perfect cold weather beverage.
Oooo, everything about this sounds delightful, from the apple cider and brandy to the spices to the the whipped cream and caramel on top.