Years ago, I was traumatized. By Strawberry Butter. And so, I was nervous when I decided to try it’s cousin, Strawberry Cream Cheese. But I was also motivated. You can’t buy Strawberry Cream Cheese that is organic and local, much less sugar free.
So back to the ill-fated butter…. My goal was making strawberry butter to slather on Half Whole Wheat popovers—doesn’t that sound good? But it came out separated. Actually curdled-looking. Yuk!
This time, I started nervously with frozen strawberries from last summer’s CSA harvest. I always freeze enough to eat local berries all winter, but I still kind of hoard them.
I thawed some, then squeezed out just a little of the liquid. I’m glad I did since the final mixture was still on the thin side. My other innovation was adding some lemon zest. This picked up the flavor without adding any extra moisture. Win-win!
The process was super easy. Simply cream softened cream cheese in the mixer, add pureed berries, zest and sugar (or substitute) and enjoy. Simple and delicious!
Yes, I figure if I do decide to try keto later in the winter, I’ll have one recipe under my belt! We slathered it on bagels, decidedly un-keto, but one bridge at a time.
Strawberry Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces frozen strawberries about a half cup of chopped berries, thawed
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 Tablespoon sugar real or substitute or to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- Thaw frozen berries, then squeeze out a tablespoon or two of liquid (see note if using fresh). Coarsely puree.
- Cream the cream cheese using a mixer or a small food processor (my blender blade was too high for this). Add berries, sugar or substitute, and lemon zest and mix until blended. Taste and adjust sugar to taste.
- Serve with bagels, crepes, crepes, apple slices or ???
- Air Fryer Everything Bagels by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Asiago Cheese Bagels by Pastry Chef Online
- Breakfast Bagel Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Salmon Spread by That Recipe
- Stir-Fried Bagels with Cabbage and Bacon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Cream Cheese by Art of Natural Living
- Water Bagels by Simply Inspired Meals
- Bloody Mary Five Ways
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower