Kale is a great fall-into-winter green. Hardy and nutritious, I hear tales of it surviving until Christmas in Wisconsin. Over the years I have had my challenges with this dark green super-food, but today’s recipe for Tuscan Kale Salad marks a transition. I now officially like kale.
I know that non-lettuce greens can be a challenge for other people too. So much so that one of my CSAs even took them out of the boxes and started a separate “greens share!” And I admit to once writing that kale was more suited for fall ornamental gardening than dinner!
But with this Tuscan Kale Salad, my repertoire of kale chips and prosciutto sautéed kale has officially expanded. The secret is adding lost of extra flavor in the toppings and julienning the kale so it isn’t tough as leather (yes, couldn’t resist a final dig). Now that doesn’t sound so hard, does it?
To julienne the kale, I used the same method I use for herbs like basil. Stack up a few leaves, roll them up, then slice thinly from one end of the roll to the other. For bigger leaves, I sometimes cut the roll in half lengthwise first which makes for small pieces.
The recipe came to me from our local co-op’s newsletter by way of my sister. With recipes like this, I may even plant some kale next year!
Do you have a favorite kale recipe?
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch kale (about. a half pound)
- ½ cup shredded carrots (I roughly chopped some pre-julienned carrots)
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced (see note)
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (or flavorful vegan cheese)
- Prepare dressing by whisking together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove stems from kale and cut into thin julienne strips. Toss with the dressing.
- Top kale with remaining ingredients (artistically—or toss together if desired)
- If you use home dried tomatoes that are hard, soften them by letting them soak in very hot water before adding to the salad.
- Spicy Cilantro Salad
- Rare Earth/Pizza Man Farm to Table Dinner