The 4th of July holiday is a time for fun and celebration! This year I am trying to be health conscious as well and wanted to make a dessert that was healthier–but still keep all the fun! What better seasonal food to use for this day of red, white and blue than berries! So I layered strawberries, blueberries and a cream cheese whip into glasses and called it… Blueberry Strawberry Parfait USA!
I always associate the 4th of July with strawberries. A couple decades ago, as penny-watching newlyweds, my sister and I used to go out to our CSA farm where they let us pick the last small berries for free. This always happened on the 4th, since we were both off work and our husbands could watch the kids. We’d go out early, pick until our backs were sore and our fingers stained pink, then stop for a lunch of malts and pizza burgers (yes, I was less health conscious back then 😉 ). What fun–buckets of berries, a “girls” lunch, and time left for 4th of July celebrating!
This year we are flush with strawberries–still CSA berries, but now I let the CSA pick and deliver them! But I still love coming up with fun new ways to serve them like this Parfait USA
In reality this is more of a concept than a recipe. The parfait’s middle layer is a “whip” of lite cream cheese, heavy cream and powdered sugar, but you can substitute Greek yogurt for simplicity and health value. There are crumbled vanilla wafers on the bottom, which add about 50 calories and a little textural variety, but feel free to leave them out or use another cookie. Allergic to strawberries? Chunk up some watermelon. Want really generous layers of fruit? Go with extra berries. This Blueberry Strawberry Parfait USA ain’t fussy!
Best wishes for a fun and healthy 4th of July weekend!
- • 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese or mascarpone
- • 3 ounces heavy cream (6 Tablespoons)
- • ¼ cup powdered sugar
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 12 vanilla wafers (or equivalent in cookies of your choice) - optional
- • 1 pint blueberries (or a bit more)
- • 1 pint strawberries (or a bit more), cut into medium sized pieces
- Make Cream Cheese Whip. Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until light and airy. Add remaining ingredients and beat until fluffy. Store in refrigerator to keep cool.
- Crumble cookies in bottom of four serving glasses. Top with a layer of blueberries. Put cream cheese whip into piping bag or plastic bag with a corner cut out, then pipe onto blueberries. Top with cut strawberries.
- If desired, decorate with themed party favor, whipped cream and colored sprinkles or item of your choice.
- For an even lighter and healthier dessert, you can substitute Greek yogurt for the cream cheese whip (you would probably need to spoon yogurt rather than pipe).
- Lemon Balm Pesto with Shrimp
- Magic Mushroom Drinks: Cocoa, Coffee, Elixir