I think they may be the breakout vegetable of the season. I am talking the colorful small peppers you see all over Pinterest and farmers markets. And lucky for me in my CSA boxes! I’ve been popping them into salads, but today I turned them into Sausage Stuffed Mini Peppers.
It’s football Sunday after all!
Now, if you want to sneak some health into a man-food appetizer, this may be it. Just top bite-sized peppers with Italian Sausage, a sprinkle of cheese and a dab of pizza sauce! Yes, these Sausage Stuffed Mini Peppers are quick to make. And super fun to eat!
I make my own homemade Italian Sausage, but store-bought sausage should work just fine. You could go with bulk out of the deli or take the casings off Italian sausage links. I do use jarred pizza sauce–because I haven’t gone quite that homemade. (Pizza sauce is something I open regularly, use part of the jar, then freeze the rest for later.)
Now this wasn’t my first attempt at stuffing these cute little peppers. I first tried doing cheese stuffed peppers which turned out okay, but low on pizazz. Between the Italian Sausage and pizza sauce, Sausage Stuffed Mini Peppers are now high in the flavor department.
On the odd chance the game is slow…
- 2 Italian Sausage links (or about 1/2 lb lean bulk Italian sausage) - see note
- 1 pint mini peppers
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella or other meltable cheese
- 3-4 T pizza sauce
- Cut mini peppers in half, leaving stem or discarding if you prefer.
- Top with about a tablespoon of sausage (depending on pepper size).
- Place in a baking dish and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
- Top each pepper with a sprinkling of cheese, then return to oven until melted (about 2 minutes).
- Place on a serving plate, then top with a dollap of pizza sauce.
- Serve warm
- For the meat filling, you can use Italian sausages with the casing removed, or bulk Italian sausage (or make your own!)