I just had another one of those “V-8” moments. Like, why have I never made Strawberry Stuffed French Toast before? Custard-y bread filled with cream cheese and berries, it is easy, tasty, and healthier than plain French toast.
Over the holidays, my college kids were home from school. I loved the fun and camaraderie–including special breakfasts that start the day right!
The idea for this dish comes from the White Gull Inn, a nearby bed and breakfast that’s known for delicious food and quaint decor. Their cherry stuffed French toast won a Good Morning America best breakfast contest a few years back, giving them their 15 minutes of fame. It’s all quieted down now but we still love their French Toast—and their amazing Blueberry Coffee Cake.
The remaining inspiration is from one of my CSAs. They grow big beautiful berries every summer and I freeze gallons for eating all winter. Two guesses whose berries are in my recipe!
When I finally decided to try making Strawberry Stuffed French Toast, I admit to being nervous. Would the bread get soggy? Would the berries squish out? But everything came out perfectly. Even the very first (test) piece!
It goes like this:
Serve with extra berries and syrup.
The other motivation behind this post is a personal New Year’s health challenge that I am calling “Veggie Wednesdays.” Do you count your 5-a-day? Nutritionists say we should eat 3(-5) servings of vegetables and 2(-4) fruits every day I figure if I can either add one additional fruit or veggie to a recipe, or make a dish that has at least two, everything will be easier. So, this year, (hopefully a lot of) my upcoming Wednesday posts (or Thursday if I’m late) will feature a (fruit or) veggie-ized recipe.
Wish me luck!
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 slices bread
- 4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Maple syrup for serving (optional)
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar until well combined.
- Spread one side of a slice of bread with about an ounce of cream cheese.
- Place about 1/4 cup sliced berries in the middle of the patch of cream cheese leaving about 3/4 inch uncovered on the sides for sealing.
- Top with a second slice of bread and press around edges to seal.
- Dip in egg batter, then fry on both sides in large frying pan sprayed with nonstick spray, about 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining bread.
- Slice finished French toast on a diagonal and serve with additional strawberries and maple syrup.
- Healthy Salmon Salad Recipe
- Thai Shrimp Soup (with Extra Carrots–shh)