With a sweet tart creaminess, this Apple Cranberry Coleslaw is a delicious side dish that will take you happily into fall. Are you a creamy coleslaw or a vinegar coleslaw kind of person? If you can’t make up your mind, then this Apple Cranberry Coleslaw may be perfect for you.
You see, it combines delicious elements from both types—creamy from the mayo, tart from vinegar with a bit of sweetness from apples, honey and cranberries thrown in. And then there are crunchy pecans—probably my favorite part!
The dish got rave reviews at the blog A Southern Soul, where I picked up the recipe (with some minor modifications). Although I’m a creamy coleslaw gal, I still like variety. And if you are serving a mixed group, it might be the slaw that makes everyone happy.
I also liked the health value of this. With a bit of fruit from the dried cranberry and apple, plus calcium from the yogurt it’s definitely beats out your average coleslaw.
- 1 small cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ large apple – chopped (other half goes into dressing)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecan
- 2 scallions - sliced
- 1 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- ½ apple (leftover from coleslaw ingredients)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (sour cream can be substituted)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Combine slaw mix ingredients in a large bowl.
In a blender, puree mayonnaise, vinegar, honey and half apple until smooth. Stir in the remaining dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over slaw mix and toss until well combined.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed and toss before serving.
All Things Apples!
- Apple Cupcakes w/ Maple Cream Cheese Icing by That Recipe
- Apple Fritter Bread by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw by Art of Natural Living
- Crock Pot Apple Butter by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Fried Apples by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Applesauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Romanian Apple Rice Pudding by Pandemonium Noshery
- Homemade Vanilla Pudding Pops
- Key Lemon Pie