Apple Cranberry Coleslaw
With a sweet tart creaminess, this Apple Cranberry Coleslaw is a delicious side dish that will take you happily into fall. Are you a creamy coleslaw or a vinegar coleslaw kind of person? If you can’t make up your mind, then this Apple Cranberry Coleslaw may be perfect for you.
You see, it combines delicious elements from both types—creamy from the mayo, tart from vinegar with a bit of sweetness from apples, honey and cranberries thrown in. And then there are crunchy pecans—probably my favorite part!
The dish got rave reviews at the blog A Southern Soul, where I picked up the recipe (with some minor modifications). Although I’m a creamy coleslaw gal, I still like variety. And if you are serving a mixed group, it might be the slaw that makes everyone happy.
And we all know it’s pretty tough to keep two different viewpoints happy today!
I also liked the health value of this. With a bit of fruit from the dried cranberry and apple, plus calcium from the yogurt it’s definitely beats out your average coleslaw.
I’m still repressing the idea that fall is coming. So I served it with hot dogs to push the summer side of the equation. But it would be great with fish or other dishes too.
Apple Cranberry Coleslaw
- 1 small cabbage core removed and shredded
- 1 large carrot grated
- ½ large apple – chopped other half goes into dressing
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecan
- 2 scallions - sliced
- 1 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons honey
- ½ apple leftover from coleslaw ingredients
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt sour cream can be substituted
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine slaw mix ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a blender, puree mayonnaise, vinegar, honey and half apple until smooth. Stir in the remaining dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over slaw mix and toss until well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed and toss before serving.
All Things Apples!
- Apple Cupcakes w/ Maple Cream Cheese Icing by That Recipe
- Apple Fritter Bread by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw by Art of Natural Living
- Crock Pot Apple Butter by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Fried Apples by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Applesauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Romanian Apple Rice Pudding by Pandemonium Noshery
We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you’re at it, join our Pinterest board, too!
- Homemade Vanilla Pudding Pops Popsicles
- Key Lemon Pie
This has fall written all over it! The apples and cranberries sound so good together in this slaw.
What a fab combination. When you asked mayo or vinegar, I thought of a friend who refuses to eat either! Can you imagine how much good food she is missing?
Sweet, tart and crunchy, this coleslaw sounds terrific!
Love that apple and cranberries in this coleslaw, it would give an extra sweetness and a nice crunch. Nice recipe
What a great way to extend summer! We are in the throws of winter here.
This looks absolutely delicious – what a fantastic side dish!
Great addition of apples and cranberries. That makes this the perfect fall side dish!
This sounds so good that I am going to Metro Mart today anyway and will pick up a cabbage. Thanks,
I love adding a little apple to coleslaw for a natural hint of sweetness. And I am definitely a fan of adding dried cranberries and pecans to just about anything.
It’s usually dangerous territory to try and please everyone but it looks like you pulled it off expertly! The dressing looks like my type of thing, I love tangy and creamy.
Best of both worlds right there. Can’t wait to try it.