Sometimes life is… positively hectic. Desperate even. As in, my youngest and I had the flu last week (yes we both had flu shots) and lost sooo much working time. Of course, this happened right at mid-semester where we were both already behind in school.
Then while we convalesced, I relied far too much on canned chicken soup which now feels seriously old. Which means I needed to find a few easy shortcut meals that are… Absolutely. Delicious.
And did I mention nutritious?
You see, one of my big worries during recuperation is continuing to get our five servings a day of fruit and vegetables. No sense challenging the body with nasty viruses AND poor nutrition. So for this recipe I threw caution to the wind and tossed a couple vegetables into a pan with some cod from the freezer (from our Community Supported Fishery) and put it in the oven. Fingers crossed.
The results were (drum roll…) delicious. Whew!
Because I wanted everything super easy, I decided to base the dish on a jar of marinated roasted red peppers. The marinate mixture had olive oil, lemon, onion and garlic which were five things (including the peppers) that I wouldn’t need to slice or measure.
I rinsed and broke up some asparagus I had in the refrigerator, topped that with a piece of cod, then poured the jar of peppers, liquid and all over everything. Since I happened to have fresh thyme, a little of that went on too with salt and pepper.
Then everything went into the oven for about 15 minutes. Served with bakery bread and a pre-washed salad, I had a meal with almost no effort.
At this point I am hoping for an really uneventful next few weeks. But Baked Cod with Jarred Peppers and Asparagus is a keeper, desperately busy or not!
- 1/2 lb fresh asparagus
- 12 ounces cod
- 1 small jar marinated roasted red peppers with olive oil and seasonings
- a few sprig fresh thyme, leaves only (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Clean and break asparagus into bite-sized pieces. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray then add asparagus.
- Top asparagus with cod, then cover with jarred marinated peppers, including liquid.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
- Bake about 12-20 minutes until flakes easily (about 145 F). Serve warm.
- Key Lime Meringue Pie Tartlets
- Chili Spiced Pork Stew