The Banana Banshee is a tasty cocktail that comes in two yummy forms, one made with cream and the other with ice cream (both versions included).
I have to start this post with a confession. I love ice cream. Just take a look at my really popular Chocolate Malt if you don’t believe me! And this love includes ice cream cocktails.
You see, I practically grew up drinking ice cream drinks—back in the Supper Club heyday in Wisconsin. A good dinner out often ended with a towering frozen cocktail and multiple spoons.
So I admit that, despite a goal to test the Banana Banshee both ways, I was biased. And I fully expected to find that the Original Banana Banshee, made with cream, was going to be a shadow of the ice cream drink I loved.
But when I tried it(drum roll)… it was delicious! I felt no deprivation, especially since it was a whole lot easier to make.
Yes, yum and yummier!
What is a Banana Banshee
Wikipedia tells us that the original Banana Banshee (the cream version) was created by Nick Castrogiovanni at Nick’s Original Big Train Bar, in New Orleans. A master of cream-based cocktails, his over the top drink menu eventually grew to over 150 “exotic drinks.”
The frozen version came by way of Wisconsin. Per the Hotel Seymour the ice cream drink is “a uniquely Wisconsin cocktail that combines ice cream with various liquors. Since its inception in the 19th century, this tasty treat has evolved into many variations that embrace the supper club’s good food, socialization and fun.”
What this boiled down to is the fact that any sweet, cream-based drink, like the Banana Banshee (or the Minty Grasshopper) was a prime candidate for conversion to an ice cream cocktail.
That’s right, yum again!
Why You’ll Love This!
Tasty. With a sweet, creamy banana flavor and chocolate undertones, this drink is over the top flavorful!
Refreshing. Hot? How about a little ice cream!
Special. A banana banshee can make any occasion fun. Stop for cocktails or share an after dinner drink instead of dessert.
What You’ll Need
- Creme de Banana. This provides the banana flavor and alcohol.
- White Crème de Cacao. This provides chocolate undertones and alcohol.
- Ice cream or cream. This adds a delicious creaminess.
- A good blender is ideal if you make the ice cream version. A cocktail shaker is helpful for the cream version.
Step by Step Directions
For the frozen (ice cream) version, place all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth.
Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
For the cream version, place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake.
Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
How to Serve
The banana banshee is great for dessert or after dinner drinks, to serve for a fun cocktail hour or for any special occasion.
I recommend serving it in a martini glass. Since the cream version is smaller, it will work best in the older style, smaller martini glass.
The popular oversized martini glasses will fit the larger ice cream version. Serve with a spoon and a short straw to avoid the danger of milk mustaches. Whipped cream is optional.
No martini glasses? Just use whatever you have that fits. It can’t help but be a hit!
Now one nice thing about getting an ice cream drink when dining out, is that they’re often large enough to share. It’s way perfect to keep the conviviality going. Consider an oversized drink for two or more an option for homemade as well.
Can I Freeze Leftovers of the Frozen Banshee?
I’ve been making ice cream drinks for decades, err, years, and always had a suspicion that they would freeze well. But… I have never, EVER, had anything left to freeze. So, this notion was never tested.
This time, my husband was out of town, and I decided to make the full 2-drink recipe anyway. (I wanted to use up the whole pint of ice cream.) I photographed and drank half (one drink) the first night, then poured the rest in a container and popped it in the freezer.
The next day the mixture was a little more solid—like soft ice cream. I could have re-blended it, with a little liquid if needed, for the perfect consistency. Instead, I decided to eat it with a spoon for an amazing boozy ice cream treat.
So yes. Yes. YES! (It freezes.)
Tips & FAQs
The cream version is pretty much foolproof! For the ice cream drink…
If you follow all of the directions for the thickest ice cream drink (below), you may need to stop the blender and hand stir a turn or two. Even with a Vitamix I had to do this. And I’ve seen professional bartenders hand-stirring ice cream drinks too.
My first choice for working with the ice cream is to start with a pint container. First, I love that I don’t need to measure. And then, I simply rip off the cardboard exterior, then break it up some in the blender canister and blend. So easy!
How do I make the thickest ice cream drink? To make the thickest ice cream drink, pre-freeze the booze and blender for 30-60 minutes beforehand and handle the ice cream as little as possible. And as I mentioned, be ready to do some brief hand stirring if the blender gets stuck.
Some people will freeze the serving glass, a step I skip since I don’t like the extreme condensation it has then.
Banana Banshee Cocktail
- 2 ounces Creme de Banana 1/4 cup
- 1 ounce White Crème de Cacao 2 Tablespoons
- 2 cups ice cream or 4 ounces of cream
- For the frozen (ice cream) version, place all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- For the cream version, place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
And for more fun with ice cream check out these recipes from my blogging friends:
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Recipe Box
- Homemade Vanilla Superfudge Brownie by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert by Palatable Pastime
- Rhubarb Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Vanilla Bean Funfetti Milkshake Recipe by Blogghetti
- No Churn Toasted Coconut Pistachio Ice Cream by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Sour Cherries by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Tahini Chocolate Chunk No Churn Ice Cream by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Banana Banshee CocktaiI by Art of Natural Living
- No Churn Salted Caramel Pecan Ice Cream by That Recipe
- Cherry Falooda by Magical Ingredients
- Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Chocolate Frozen Yogurt