Grilled shrimp & aioli on a golden vegetable fritter makes Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp a classy Farm to Table appetizer or entrée.
Recently I saw the picture of these Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp in a local “Edible” magazine and I was captivated. It practically shouted let’s make Farm to Table gourmet.
I wasn’t actually surprised since I knew who the author was. A chef and former restauranteur, we used to frequent her place for its consistently fabulous food.
Now one thing I especially loved, was how the recipe was flexible on the vegetables you used. That’s perfect for fall, when sometimes you don’t know which veggie is going to produce insane quantities. Or for when you get a harvest box from Melissa’s Produce, like I did for Fall Flavors Week.
I had heard of Melissa’s before but didn’t know that the LA based company is the largest distributor of specialty produce in the United States. I also learned that Melissa’s Produce (seasonally) carries “exotic” items like passion fruit and kumquats that could make this Wisconsin winter a whole lot nicer! And the box was just the push I needed to try this recipe–check the giveaway below for a chance to win a box of your own and other great prizes!
The Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp were also a perfect “eat your 5 a day” food. Do you count your five? When my kids were young, I used to make them name their 2 servings of fruit and 3 vegetables before they could have dessert! Missing a veggie? Well there are carrot sticks in the ‘fridge, honey.
Today I used sweet potatoes and potatoes from the box along with some local zucchini and onion in my fritters. And I have to tell you that the egg/flour combination for “fritter glue” worked much better than the breadcrumbs I had previously used.
I decided to top the fritters with a dollop of lime cilantro aioli instead of the lemon yogurt in the original. I had bought the jar when shopping for specialty foods, though I actually prefer my homemade aioli.
Rather than do one per person as an appetizer my husband and I split that batch of six, doubled the shrimp and called it dinner. It’s the most fun dinner I’ve had in awhile and healthy too! Gotta love a recipe that’s versatile!
This dish worked so well that I’ve done vegetable fritters a few times since, though not always with shrimp. Pretty sure it’s going to be a winter staple this year!
Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp
- ½ cup flour gluten-free if desired
- Pinch of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups grated vegetables of your choice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tablespoons oil for frying
- 2 Tablespoons aioli or mayonnaise mixed with garlic and onion powder
- 6 shrimp
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs of your choice
- Salt pepper
- To prepare the fritters, in a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and herbs.
- Squeeze out some of the water from the grated vegetables by putting into an old towel (this may stain) or clean rag, closing together the ends and twisting to squeeze. Add the vegetables, parsley and corn to the flour mixture and toss to coat. Add the beaten egg and stir until well-mixed.
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium hot sautee pan. Form fritter mixture into six patties and fry until golden on the first side. Turn the fritters over, reduce the heat and cover the pan to finish cooking.
While the fritters finish cooking, prepare the shrimp. Brush shelled shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper. Cook in grill pan or sautee pan on both sides until pink and cooked through, a couple minutes per side.
When everything is done cooking, assemble. Top each fritter with a rounded teaspoon of aioli and set a shrimp on top, tail up. Garnish with additional chopped parsley if desired.
Friday Fall Recipes
- Air Fryer Cinnamon Apple Rings by Daily Dish Recipes
- Almond Apple Galette by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Amish Pear Crumb Pie Recipe by Blogghetti
- Apple Cider Dip by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Apple Upside Down Cake by An Affair from the Heart
- Caramel Apple Whiskey Sour by Cookaholic Wife
- Caramel Apple Pancakes by Lemon Blossoms
- Caramel Apple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Caramel Apple-Tea-Ni by Sweet Beginnings
- Fluffy Pumpkin Dip by Take Two Tapas
- Garlic and Thyme Smashed Sunchokes by Savory Moments
- Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake by Frugal & Fit
- Harvest Vegetable Fritters with Shrimp by Art of Natural Living
- Meyer Lemon-Lavender Vodka Martini by Books n’ Cooks
- Oaxacon Daisy by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pear Fennel Sunchoke Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pear Scones with Caramel Glaze by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Pistachio and Marmalade Crusted Brie with Figs by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Chicken with Sunchokes and Lemon by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roasted Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic by Family Around the Table
- Scrumptious Caramel Iced Apple Cinnamon Rolls Easy Recipe by Intelligent Domestications
- Tea Infused Apple Cider Chicken by Simple and Savory
- Vegan Almond Scones by That Recipe
Thank you #FallFlavors Week Sponsors: Melissa’s Produce, Dixie Crystals, Torani, Republic of Tea, Taylor & Colledge, and Nairn’s. All opinions are my own.
- Glazed Cherry Pie Bars
- Easiest Pommes Dauphinoise (Scalloped Potatoes)