It’s supposed to be spring in the Midwest right now. But winter hit us a week ago with once last (knocking wood) snowfall. Nooooo!
Fortunately, we are now getting a weekend respite–60’s and sun. So now I’m excited! Picnics. Grilling. Father’s Day Cookouts. So much fun ahead!
And in honor of the upcoming turn-some-meals-over-to-dad season, I made a special burger last night, a Lamb Burger with Tzatziki Sauce.
Now you may not know the name Tzatziki Sauce, but you’re probably familiar with the delicious cucumber yogurt mixture they spoon onto Gyro sandwiches. Let me tell you it is equally good on a nice lamb patty!
In the past, I’ve just mixed yogurt and cucumbers. It was good, but with just a few more add-ins (garlic, lemon, parsley), the sauce was over the top. And it felt very middle-eastern—I could almost taste the (fattening) tahini–that wasn’t needed at all!
Swim suit season’s coming!
In one final concession to summer diets, I made slightly reduced size sliders by dividing the meat into five patties and using some wheat dinner rolls that fit a 3-ounce burger perfectly. My daughter and I each had one, Dad had two, and there is one to fight over as leftovers.
- 1/2 cups plain reduced fat yogurt
- 1/2 cups cucumber chopped
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon parsley (or mint or dill)
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 5 dinner rolls/slider buns
- salt, pepper
- Mix sauce ingredients, then set aside for flavors to blend.
- Divide ground lamb into 5 sections and form into patties. Salt and pepper, then grill until done.
- Serve on toasted dinner roll/slider bun/small hamburger bun topped with sauce.
Fantastic Father’s Day
- Buttermilk Pancakes by Family Around the Table
- Chicken Shawarma by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Creamy Spinach Dip by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce by Simply Inspired Meals
- Jeff Mauro’s Meatloaf by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lamb Burger with Tzatziki Sauce by Art of Natural Living
- Pecan Peach Crisp by Blogghetti
- Lemon Tarragon Salmon with Quick Béarnaise
- Broccoli Waldorf Salad