Tasty Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
Chewy and chocolatey, with a hint of spice, Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies are a tasty treat for fun snacking, picnics, school lunches or dessert.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone. Take a look at the giveaway below for your chance to win some of these great products.
I like oatmeal cookies. And I like chocolate chip cookies. But I think that cookies are even better if you put the two together. Toss in some applesauce and spices and it’s over the top. Even health food lovers can’t resist.
That’s right, Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies are seriously yummy. And just a little guilty.
Why You’ll Love This!
Yes, Applesauce Oatmeal cookies are:
Chewy and Chocolatey. Why do cookies sometimes make you choose between chewy and chocolatey. I love the chew from a nice oatmeal cookie, but I don’t love raisins. I do love chocolate chips! Yup, you’ve got both here. (But you can do raisins if you want.)
Less Guilty. While these aren’t exactly health food, I did try to keep the sugar to a minimum and add some healthier extras like applesauce, oatmeal, and spices. Every little bit helps!
Extra flavor. Every extra bit of flavor is squeezed into these with fruity applesauce, rich chocolate and beautiful spices. And I was excited to have some fresh spices from Selefina Spices to make these taste so good!
What You’ll Need
- Butter. This adds richness and helps the cookies hold together.
- Brown sugar. This adds sweetness and a hint of molasses flavor.
- Applesauce. This adds moisture and flavor.
- Egg. This helps the cookies rise and adds richness.
- Flour. This adds structure and stability to the cookies.
- Oatmeal. This substitutes for some of the usual flour and adds flavor and chewiness.
- Salt. This enhances flavor.
- Baking soda. This helps the cookies rise and become lighter.
- Cinnamon, cloves, allspice. These add a spicy flavor.
- Chocolate chips. These add flavor, sweetness, and chocolatey goodness.
- Pecans. These are optional but can add flavor and a little crunch.
- No special tools are needed.
Step by Step Directions
Cream butter until smooth then blend in sugar.
Mix in egg and applesauce
In a separate bowl combine flour, rolled oats, baking soda, salt and spices.
Stir into butter mixture.
Add nuts, if using and chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded teaspoonful or cookie scoop onto baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned.
How to Serve
Cookies are perfect for many occasions. Serve them as after school snacks, lunch box treats or picnic food. And while apples are a fall food, if you use applesauce, it’s an all year food. In fact, making these helped me to finish up the applesauce I canned in the fall!
For snacking a nice glass of milk or cup of coffee is a perfect accompaniment!
Variations and Special Diets
For a more traditional applesauce oatmeal raisin cookie, use raisins in place of chocolate chips. Or go wild and use both.
For a tasty oatmeal cookie that may be the easiest cookie ever, take a look at these Granola Bar Cookies.. Or consider Healthier Oatmeal Jam Bars.
If you need to do gluten free cookies, I can’t tell you how to convert these—sorry. But I can send you over to a post for some tasty Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies or Easy Gluten Free Molasses Cookies.
Applesauce Spice Cookies
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup chocolate chips can use raisins
- ½ cup pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- With a mixer in a large bowl cream butter until smooth then blend in sugar. Add egg and applesauce and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, rolled oats, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir into butter mixture. Add nuts, if using and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful or cookie scoop onto baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned.
Friday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies by Art of Natural Living
- Black Forest Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blender Blood Orange Curd by Shockingly Delicious
- Dairy Free Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Frugal & Fit
- Frozen Coconut Mojitos by The Spiffy Cookie
- Funfetti Pancakes by Family Around the Table
- Key Lime Cheesecake Easter Eggs by Magical Ingredients
- Key Lime Pie Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Kumquat Strawberry Lemonade Cooler by Palatable Pastime
- Mixed Citrus Daiquiri by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Morning Glory Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Orange Creamsicle Mousse by Jen Around the World
- Pear Blueberry Crisp by Sweet Beginnings
- Pink Lemonade Sangria by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Polish Poppy Seed Roll by Cookaholic Wife
- Spiced Orange Blondies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spiced Orange Scones by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lemon Lavender Cake by That Recipe
- Strawberry Pink Peppercorn Breakfast Smoothie by Blogghetti
- White Chocolate Fudge Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
We share recipes from #SpringSweetsWeek on Pinterest! Make sure you follow the board to see all the delicious recipes shared this week.
Welcome to #SpringSweetsWeek 2023 hosted by Heather from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks! The sun is shining, the weather is getting warmer, and we are celebrating the beginning of spring with plenty of spring sweets and a fun giveaway! This year 20 food bloggers from around the country are sharing over 75 sweet recipes that are perfect for spring. So get ready to enjoy amazing spring treats like cupcakes, cookies, pies, jams, and even a few beverages! Thank you to our #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors that are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you to Melissa’s Produce, Anolon, Taylor and Colledge, and Selefina Spices for your generosity and support. We have an incredible giveaway with four amazing prizes and would love it if you would take a moment to read about it and the prizes that you can win!
Prize #1: A Fresh and Dried Organics Basket from Melissa’s Produce.
One winner will enjoy an abundance of fruit with Melissa’s Fresh and Dried Organics Basket. This hand-woven basket holds a delicious combination of fresh and dried Organic fruits and is carefully wrapped with cellophane and finished with a colorful ribbon. Melissa’s Produce has everything from common apples and bananas to exotic passion fruit and kumquats.
Prize # 2: A $30 Gift certificate to Selefina Spices.
One winner will enjoy a $30 gift certificate to buy all their favorite spices for cooking and baking! Selefina Spices sells an assortment of spices gathered using dedication and care with which we’ve curated their online tea collection. With our decades of experience sourcing products and establishing global connections their mission is to be able to bring you fresher, higher-quality spices and seasonings at lower prices.
Prize #3: A selection of 4 extract pastes from Taylor and Colledge.
One winner will receive a selection of extracts to include almond, lemon, organic vanilla bean, and lavender. In 1897, Taylor & Colledge won its first award for excellence in vanilla. Since then, the Taylor & Colledge commitment for unsurpassed quality has earned its reputation as one of the world’s finest producers of vanilla.
Prize #4: AnolonPro Bakeware 2 Piece Set of Half Sheet Cookie Pans.
One winner will win a 2-piece set of 13-inch x 18-inch half sheet baking pans for cookies! These aluminized steel professional sheet pans deliver unmatched durability and heat conduction for incredibly reliable results and are oven safe to 550°F. You’ll be able to bake all your favorite cookies to perfection. Anolon Pro Bakeware gives you professional grade bakeware at affordable prices.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Selefina Spices, Anolon, Melissa’s Produce, and Taylor and Colledge for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Four (4) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.
- Key Lime Martini
- Honey Wheat Bread with Optional Sourdough Discard
This looks like the perfect cookie to go with my brown bag lunches everyday.
I love the spices in these cookies! These sound perfect and these will be my all time favorite cookies.
These Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies sound amazing! I love the combination of chewy oatmeal, chocolate chips, and the hint of spice. It’s great to hear that you were able to add some healthier ingredients like applesauce and oatmeal while keeping the sugar to a minimum. The addition of fresh spices from Selefina Spices sounds like the perfect finishing touch to make these cookies even more delicious.
Have been making a lot of oatmeal cookies lately — I love the idea of using applesauce and can’t wait to try these!
The cookies are perfect and my husband will love them when I bake them for him
We love applesauce oatmeal cookies but haven’t tried with the chocolate chips and pecans. Will have to make them this way next time!
As you know, it’s not required, but it does jazz them up!
Oatmeal cookies are one of my faves!! And I love the applesauce in there. So delicious.
Applesauce, oats, and spices are such a great combination for cookies!
Apple and oatmeal go great together. Love the added spices!
Applesauce is perfect in these oatmeal cookies.
These would be amazing with my tea right now! Fruit, oats= breakfast!
This is my kind of cookie! I love the oatmeal and all of the spice!
Everything sounds so good together. Love the chocolate chips.